Roommates want to break lease...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtaravella

I live with my wife and child and we have 2 other roommates. My roommates want to break our lease, but we do not. Everybody has their name on the lease which is a year in length. Are my roommates able to break the lease without having the permission of everyone that is on the lease agreement?

Your roomies only need the permission of your landlord in order to break the lease. They'll also need some funds to pay the landlord for the breach.

However, even your landlord can't force them to stay, if they desire to leave.

You have no ability to do anything, except try and persuade them not to break the lease.

If they do leave, and you stay, you'll have to pay their share (assuming they refuse).

Yeah, the landlord can sue them.
If they don't pay, he's gonna come after you.

I suggest you be prepared for them to bolt.

You can't force them to stay or pay!

You can only try to beg, plead, cajole, barter, or convince them not to leave!

Even though the others are on the lease, each of you individually is responsible for the rent if the others should fail to pay.

The lease agreement is between tenant and Landlord. In this case your an outside party. The landlord can agree to terminate the roomates portion or not. Then Landlord can take whatever action he/she feels he/she needs to which might be nothing. Unless the termination agreement give Landlord some rent you will need to pay their portion or face possible eviction. Start looking for new roomates now! You might also sue the roomates for any rent you were forced to pay to cover their portion once they leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back