Security Deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

meghanmattes

Hi, I am currently renting through a Property Management company, and I need to terminate my lease early. The owner doesn't want to stay in a contract with the property management company, and is willing to let me out of my lease, and give me back my full security deposit. But, the PM company is not willing to give me back my full security deposit. They told the owner of the house that I rent, and myself our options are as follows:

1. If the owner decides to re-sign with the PM, I will have to forfeit half of my security deposit for the fees for them to advertise, and re-lease the property. It is my understanding they can only keep my security deposit for loss of rent (which I am agreeing to stay in the house until a new tenant is found, or even move out early (with a pro-rated last months rent) if the new tenant absolutely needs to move out prior to last day of my 60 days notice, and for repairs - which absolutely none are needed.

2. The owner can break her contract with the PM, and find a new tenant on her own, and would have to pay the rest of the monthly fees until my lease would of been up - and the owner said I need to pay the fees if she doesn't renew with the PM.

I've been living there for over a year - unfortunately my lease auto renewed for a year. But I've been a perfect tenant. I'm clean, I don't damage anything and I have never even been one day late on my rent. Are they punishing me for being a good tenant to keep me in the lease? Is any of the things the PM is telling us legal?

Please help me! Thanks

The PM has a contract with the owner. He/she owes for the remainder of that lease but should not owe more than the one month penalty for breaking the lease. He/she should break the lease with the PM if they wish to go that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back