She wants to sue me for moving her property to the curb after storage date expired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanna48669

I have been storing belongings in my garage for a 'friend' (who ran out on rent, damaged my property and didn't pay late fees) - We have a signed agreement that includes rent, damage, late fees and that she would empty the garage by 2/28 or, on 3/1 I would transfer "Renter's belongings from the garage to the curb."

I kicked her out 1 week early for nonpayment of rent. Her stuff was still in my garage and I told her she could not have it till she paid what she owes me.

There has been a lot of discussion about how much she owes, if I can legally keep her property until she pays, etc.

She agreed to pick up her stuff on 3/11. Then, on 3/10, she demanded to hear from me by 11:00 a.m. so she could confirm the truck. I emailed her at 10:59 and asked her to bring the money on 3/10 since I was not going to be home on 3/11. She texted she could not make 2 trips. I texted her the deal was off and I paid someone to move her property to my driveway. It is stacked and coverd with tarps to protect from rain. I texted her "come pick up your stuff." She texted a bunch of stuff, ending with "I'll see you in court." Does she have a case?

You betcha she has a case.
You will be paying her, if she takes you to court.
You can't hold her belongings hostage for her to pay.
Your agreement is invalid and unlawful.
You can't kidnap her and demand she not leave until you're paid.
You've got big legal troubles brewing!!!!
See a lawyer, maybe a settlement can be brokered.
Get your checkbook ready.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk HD

I agree... make nice with her and resolve this. She has a good argument to make if she should follwo through with her threat.
I would also suggest you move the belongings back inside. You are responsible for any damage or theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back