Should I talk to tenant about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzyj

I own a rental home in California that I manage on my own. Periodically I will go to the rental house to do some landscaping, clearing gutters, etc. I always call the tenant and get verbal permission before doing so. Several months ago when I was there doing a repair they had requested, it turned out that one of the children (about 10 yrs old) came home and was there alone for several hours. Since this is illegal in California, I spoke to the tenant who said that it was a one time thing and usually the child is not home alone.

Just recently, I was at the rental again (I called the tenant the night before and spoke to her as usual) and noticed that the screen on the front window was removed and placed leaning against the house. I want to call the tenant and let her know that I think her child is climbing in through the window, and that this behavior is not okay. However, my wife doesn't agree with me. She thinks that I should just notify the tenant about the window screen and ask the tenant to fix the problem. She's kind of freaked about the California rental laws since California is such a renter friendly state. She's also worried about retribution from the tenant. She also thinks that I should not even be going over to do any landscaping since the lease states that the tenant is responsible for any yard work.

I wanted to know who is right, my wife or me? Should I be as worried as she is about all the California rental laws or should my wife just chill out?

Listen to your wife.
She isn't worried, she's smart!
She is only trying to protect you and her from any legal liabilities.
If you persist in doing what you're doing, it'll blow up in your face.
Stop, just stop, and save yourself big problems.

Thank you for your advice. Though I was wondering if you thought I should stop the landscaping altogether? Or if you think I should just not confront the the tenant about my personal thoughts on the window screen (thinking her child is climbing in, etc).

Both.
Your uninvited visits might be taken in a negative light.
Her lease says she has to maintain the lawn.
Let her do it.
And, unless you see the kid crawling in the window, do as your wife says, keep quiet.
You spend too much time at her house.
Your wife has given you sound advice, follow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back