signed roommate release form but got sent to collections year after

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcking2447

I signed a lease at a apartment for one year in September of 2007. I had to move out early because of work in July of 2008 and so I found three guys willing to take over my lease. The apartment said that was fine but they had to be approved and sign onto the lease. They did and then I signed a roommate release form that took me off the lease. Everyone signed and I moved. I however just received a collection bill for outstanding rent and fee's for that apartment. The apartment is claiming they don't have the form we all signed and I can't find my copy. I am in contact with one of the guys that took over the lease and he said he remembers us all signing me off. I don't want to be responsible for their mishaps. Could I use him as a witness for being there when I signed off the lease? Any advice of what I should do would be great. Thanks!

You can certainly use this tenant as a witness. The best bet would be to contact management first (with him) as you're likely to get further with this than dealing directly with collections on this specific issue.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back