Small claims court for Carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandit23

Hello,
I moved into an apartment in Oct. 08. I never signed a lease or any papers. I had 2 cats i was moving in with me which my landlord ok'd. When I moved in a previous cat had lived there (which i had seen) and when my sister steam cleaned the carpets a ton of fur was lifted up as well. Since I had moved in my landlord put the house on the market and the realator showed it numerous times. I gave my one month (actually 1 1/2 mo.) notice. I left her my security deposit to cover the month of august rent since i wasnt even going to be living there since i found a new place to move into on the 1st. She caslled me and told me that either I pay $450 for damages to the carpet from cat pee or she will take me to small claims court for the fee and then some. She claims her realtor saw my cat pee on the carpet when she showed my apartment. Does she have a case against me? How can she prove that the damages were from my cat? If the realtor saw it then why didnt they say anything to me months before when she last showed the apartment? I have pictures and a written description of my apartment online on a realty site 3 days after I moved out saying that the apartment was in great condition and move in ready, also with a picture of before I had moved in with a cat dish in the corner proving a cat was living there before me. Can she do anything legally to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back