smoke free laws at apartment complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHAYS

My jurisdiction is: Sheridan, CO

I have lived at this apartment complex for 16 years we have gone through several owners and the latest owner is saying they will evict any one not complieing to the smoke free law.
They want smokers to leave there apartment go to a disignated smoking area which is more than 100ft away.
One they are saying it is a colorado state law which I have not been able to identify as true ( i found the laws for bussiness's but nothing for residentual) and two they say it is an complex policy.
I have an permatly handi cap uncle who smokes that this would make his life harder.
Can they realy do this? and do I have any other option then moving as soon as my lease is up?

I believe they mean this law:

http://www.smokefreecolorado.org/faq.aspx#FAQ_11

In reviewing it, it appears that the law allows smoking in private residences and homes but not in restrooms, lobbies, hallways and other community areas in public and private buildings, condominiums, and other multi-unit residential facilities (except for assisted living facilities where a special area has been selected for this).

I think your problem may be that unless you move out of Colorado, any apartment complex is expected to follow the same law.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back