So I've got this "friend"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdOPrey5

He's renting a house in Memphis. Rent is a substantial amount. There is another tenant in the same "house" but she has her own living space, doors, etc... it's a separate apartment. This guy signed the lease for 2 years and maybe didn't read it too closely.

After moving in he found out the woman sharing the house had to have access to the washer and dryer that came with his apartment. Basically they had to share it, and while annoyed he was OK with it.

After several months it came to his attention that the woman doesn't have a separate electric meter, water meter, or pay any utilities at all- she is using his power and water, sewer, everything. This very much upset him but the landlord said tough he agreed to it. He doesn't have a copy of the lease and the landlord won't provide a copy either. Understandably this very much upset my "friend" so he shut the circuit breakers going to the woman's apartment. The landlord came and turned them back on. He shut them off again, and the water. The landlord came again, turned everything back on and erected a wall blocking his access to the utility room completely and hung a sign on the wall that said "Keep Out." The landlord could still access the room via an exterior door that only the landlord has the key for.

This is when things got ugly... my friend wants out of the lease and landlord still says no (he probably could never get the rent my friend is paying from anyone else.) My friend broke down the wall and removed the circuit breakers completely cutting power to the woman again. The landlord came again (while he was not home) and erected a new, re-enforced wall and put 2 locks on the breaker box.

My friend has since demolished even the re-enforced wall and broke the two locks on the breaker box and has again removed the circuit breakers. Today the landlord sent an electrician over but my friend was home and would not allow him to work. Cops were called but cops said they would not do anything unless the landlord was present. For whatever reason the landlord couldn't come down today so we expect this to erupt in some sort of standoff shortly. The "electrician" I guess is a general handyman and also mentioned he had Steel Walls to put up and was instructed to not only put up a wall to the utility room but ALSO to wall off my friend's entire kitchen! (The utility room is off the kitchen).

Well obviously this is going to end up very messy... I'm pretty sure my friend had a valid case but not so sure once he started destroying walls and pulling out circuit breakers. Also I feel bad for the woman who hasn't been nice though all this but really from an objective standpoint it's not like she did anything wrong.

Does anyone know if by law the landlord must ensure every tenant has their own utilities? Does the landlord have to provide a copy of the lease if requested? Can you be legally required to pay the utilities of someone else? Is my 'friend' going to get in trouble for knocking down those walls? Wouldn't denying access to the kitchen be grounds for breaking a lease?

This landlord is a real "scumlord" - a water pipe broke and the landlord didn't get anyone to fix it for 4 days, thousands of gallons of water was wasted- the plumber estimated it was enough to fill 3 or 4 swimming pools and my friend will be stuck with that bill once it comes due too because the water is in his name.

Your "friend" had NO right whatsoever to alter the water and electricity supply in that manner!

Your "friend" may actually be guilty of several crimes....

Your "friend" had NO right whatsoever to alter the water and electricity supply in that manner!

Your "friend" may actually be guilty of several crimes....

Even though it was in his name?

Also I forgot to mention... after the first time my friend shut off her power she did retaliate by shutting off the main switch to his A/C and putting a lock on the A/C breaker box so he had to cut the lock before turning it back on, so she isn't completely innocent either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your "friend" is an idiot.

He signs a lease he didn't read carefully and never bothers to get a copy of it. Then, when he finds out there is only one meter does he address the issue with the other tenant to work out some type of arrangement in regards to her portion of the utilities? Nope.

He ends up breaking down walls and pulling out breakers. Again and again. This is not going to end up well for him. If the landlord sues him for the damages he has done it is going to cost him more than if he had simply paid the utilities during the length of the lease.

Gail

Your "friend" is an idiot.

He signs a lease he didn't read carefully and never bothers to get a copy of it. Then, when he finds out there is only one meter does he address the issue with the other tenant to work out some type of arrangement in regards to her portion of the utilities? Nope.

He ends up breaking down walls and pulling out breakers. Again and again. This is not going to end up well for him. If the landlord sues him for the damages he has done it is going to cost him more than if he had simply paid the utilities during the length of the lease.

Gail

This is what I was afraid of... I told him he might have been in the right until he started breaking down walls and cutting off power but someone somewhere told him "he has rights" if the utilities are in his name and he's convinced he's fighting the good fight. I just hope the landlord is reasonable and agrees to let him out of the lease because even if he is in the legal right this is going to be more trouble than it's worth to all sides, it already is in fact.

Does anyone know if by law the landlord must ensure every tenant has their own utilities?

If sharing the same apartment tenants can share utilities, but that is not quite the case here. We have tenants of two separate spaces, and one paying the utilities for both... that is bad :(

Does the landlord have to provide a copy of the lease if requested?

That would be nice- but the tenant should have obtained that when he signed it. I would expect some landlords to charge a fee for replacing documents- not sure if they are REQUIRED to give a copy if original is lost though.

Can you be legally required to pay the utilities of someone else?

Nope... not in this case anyway.

Is my 'friend' going to get in trouble for knocking down those walls?

Only if the landlord sues him- which is possible. It sounds serious enough that the landlord might even be successful having "friend" arrested for vandalism.

Wouldn't denying access to the kitchen be grounds for breaking a lease?

The kitchen hasn't been blocked yet, and if it is then "friend" has a decent argument to make in court. No telling if a judge would let him off the hook from the lease though, considering that "friend" put this whole chain of events in motion by handling this in the most immature and irresponsible way possible.

...a water pipe broke and the landlord didn't get anyone to fix it for 4 days, thousands of gallons of water was wasted- the plumber estimated it was enough to fill 3 or 4 swimming pools and my friend will be stuck with that bill once it comes due too because the water is in his name.

No he won't. "Friend" can present the bill to the landlord. He can contact the water company and determine a monthly average to estimate his usage and pay that amount. If the landlord refuses to pay then he can sue the landlord for the balance.... but until landlord pays or "friend" sues, the bill is his.

Well in your opinion, who would be in deeper "doo"?

Friend is in deeper doo for actions toward neighbor, and what probably amounts to felony vandalism of the residence. Friend's actions are criminal while landlord and other tenant are civil.

Unless one of them sues then nobody will ever know- but I suspect if the police come back and see enough damage then Friend might get to stay the night in the Grey Bar Hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back