State Dept. landlord breaks lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

asher

Our landlord was a St. Dept employee, then resigned & got merried before moving ovreseas. We have a 1 year lease that states " If the landlord is transferred back to the D.C. area by the landlords employer,the landlord shall have the right to terminate the lease by giving the tenant 90 days, notice." The Mangment Co. has not recieved any offical papers, however we have recieved our 90 days. They said her employer was trasnsferring her back to D.C., remember she had resigned and was not transfered there, the husband was and is a civilan employee, we have asked the mangment Co.to request these documents. The Mangment Co. said that she was getting a divorce and has apperantly recieved another job at The State Dept. in Northern Va.
We have found a place to move but not in that time period on account of a cancer sergery, I need an additional 3 weeks:(.
Question
#1- Is this legal since she had resigned before going overseas?
2- Can I request to see the document if the Mangment Co. blacks out the personal information?
Thank you in advance for any advice that you can relay, I,m just looking for a solution that can work for both parties.

1. Probably not since the lease termination was dependent on the landlord transfer by the previous employer, not by getting a new job.

2. Sure you can request this. However, Management can refuse to provide you this document.

Gail

Thanks Gail, you have gave me a bit of assurance. We have now found a new place but it will leave us homeless for 3 weeks. I fell bad for the landlords position, but the decision to move to a third world country with a 12 year old, this day and age, was pure stupid. I could not live with myself if something was to happen to that child. I now hear that the child will be taking a cab to school on his own, when she moves back, untill our 90 days are up. Child endangerment? Jaycee Lee Dugard, Bless her heart, was 13 at the time she was kidnapped. This has also happened to a friend of mine, she was also taken from a bus stop, thank god they did find her but, the damage was already done. The 4 men are now in fed prision because of the viedo tape that was made.
I just dont know what to do, anybody else that has any input would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back