steps to recovering default renter's past rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

brhenae78

I had a renter that was past due on rent x 2 months and also still had to pay his cleaning deposit. It was agreed upon by conversation and documente via text msg that he would pay last month's rent ($700) plus cleaning deposit ($200) on March 10, 2010. He sent me a text msg on March 9, 2010 to say that he had to move back to CA and that he left "everything" for my dad to pick up in the condo. The 3 keys were there as promised but no money. I am unable to find out where he went and how to get in contact with him in order to recover my funds.

Quite honestly, you might seriously consider this a "wash". You could consider filing a lawsuit against him for the owed rent but you would need his new address to have him served. Even if you found him, had him served, won your case in court there would be no guarantee you would ever see a penny of this money. Many landlords never do.

Promise yourself you will never find yourself in the same pickle. If you have a lease it should outline when rent is due, when it is late, what the late fees are, what your options are in terms of filing for eviction when this occurs. Follow these clauses just as you would expect a tenant to follow the others in the lease.

Gail

Another good rule of thumb is never allow a tenant access to the premises until all deposits have been paid.

Many landlords collect a month of rent in advance or at least the pro-rata portion of the remaining days of the current month before allowing the new tenant to occupy the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back