Stop Payment

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenantadvice

When my husband and I rented a house, we were told, by the landlord, that only superficial things needed done to the property. As well as hooking up the kitchen sink and replacing the bathtub faucet. After working on the house for about a week, we discovered the electricity in the back half of the house, which included the kitchen and a bedroom, would not work. Then, when we had the gas company turn on the gas, we were told that the hot water tank needed replaced, as well as the floor underneath it. This was more work than we were told we would have to do, and this was in the middle of the coldest winter in years. We had rented the house thinking we would be able to move in immediately. At this point, we haven't even moved anything in. We put stop payment on the rent check, because of these issues, and having to wait an unknown amount of time to move in. There was no way to have hot water without a new hot water tank and a new floor. Now the landlord is threatening to take us to court if we do not pay him for the fees accrued on the check, because he cashed it as a two party check at a business to pay his bills. Can he legally do this? Or is he just making empty threats?

Last edited:
Notice would have been a good idea... surely you said something to the landlord about all these unexpected problems?
Personally I wouldn't sweat it too much... if he tries to sue you over it he will be in a position that he has to explain why he is renting out a place with no electricity or hot water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back