Subletting in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuy

I made a big mistake and signed a sublease agreement when my head wasn't clear enough to make such decisons. So the sublease agreement is between the Sublessor and I. And now I want to break it because I can't pay for such a rent. The management doesn't know about this and I didn't deal anything with the management. The sublease mentions the term of the lease, deposits, how much money I have to pay each month, keeping the place the same as it was before, and having 40 days notice to the Sublessor if I move out before the term ends. I haven't moved into the place yet. How can I end this agreement without paying any penalties or going to court or do I need to go through the search for a person to replace me? By the way, I believe this is an illegal sublet.

Thanks in advance.

So...the supposedly illegal sublet was OK when you wanted it but not OK now when you want out of this lease.

Unfortunately you signed a contract and the only safe way to get out without the risk of a financial penalty is to find someone to take your place.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back