Temporary Rental to Snowbirds?

Dennis

Jurisdiction
Arizona
If we provide our guest house to Snowbirds without contracts, would that be an issue? We once did this and it worked out well for all concerned; today, we have a huge home and have a guest house not being used. Some communities ask for a "rental tax" and we don't mind paying that; however, we see many other homes in the area provided as temporary rentals and suspect they are not having problems doing so. In fact, we used websites to obtain rental units for vacation rentals in Mexico and that worked well for both parities. Our insurance company says we can obtain insurance. We read in Paris, for example, this is common and we actually did this in Europe, too. We wonder why there's so many regulations, but to afford to pay high taxes and mortgages, it's almost imperative to keep revenue coming in; it would appear to be a benefit to the communities and to visitors to have these options available?
Have some experienced success or issues sharing their homes or renting them on a temp basis?

You should ask your questions on a rental or real estate site.
Legally, there is NO CONTRACT that can prevent a renter from STIFFING you.
No lease can guarantee that even a great tenant turns into a deadbeat.
That said, whenever you rent property you are taking a chance.
In fact, you are taking many chances, because many things can (and often do) go wrong!!!
My wife and I at one time owned about 50 properties, some of those multi-family units.
Today we own six or seven.
We rent only two of those, as we allow relatives to live rent free in the others.
My advice, if you're renting to help defray your monthly living expenses (and you RELY upon the rent being paid), don't do it.
If you're renting to keep busy, and money isn't that important to you, then try your hand at it.

Back