Tenant At Will?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bafuzel1536

I need some help fast! :( About four months ago my (now ex) boyfriend and I got a house together (it was a rental). My name was nowhere on the lease nor did I sign any documents. We got a roommate as well. All was find and great then I decided I didn't want to be with him anymore (after 4 years of a lot of crap). I lost my job at the end of August. So, on September 1st I told him that I couldn't pay to live there anymore and I'd be moving out (verbal notice in my book). He said that was okay and he'd start looking around for another person to take the place (keep in mind that when I told him I was leaving at the end of August, he moved out in two days). I told him again on the 13th of September that I was going to have all of my things out of the house by the 30th of September. I let him know that I'd be paying my portion of the utilities and of the cable bill. Now he's trying to say he's going to take me to court for October rent because I didn't give him a written notice until the 13th of September based on a 'tenant at will'. Does anybody have any advice?!

Yea, tell him to stick it in his ear. The lease is oral, the notice was oral and he left before you? Don't worry about it.

In Georgia, statute 44-7-7 requires that a tenant provide 30 days notice to terminate a tenancy at will (the landlord must provide 60 days notice). Interestingly, it is not indicated whether this needs to be in writing or provided orally.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back