Tenant Belongings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommy2

We have been renting out our extra bedroom in the basement and recently our roommate has moved out. We never signed a lease agreement and never collected a security deposit (stupid but we thought we where helping her out). She told us she would be out on the 15th of July and as of today the 17th she still has belongings in the room. My husband went into the room last night and found her door leading outside wide open. With my husband, myself and our two children still living in the home we felt this put our security at risk and as a result we have changed the locks. Her rent was paid up to the 15th, the room and bathroom are completely trashed. I'm not sure what to do with her things (a mattress and mini fridge that appears to be broken) or the damage that was done to the room. Are we now stuck with the cost of cleaning and fixing the room. We can't afford to pay an attorney and I'm not even sure if we would have a leg to stand on or even if it would be worth it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

An attorney for what? Do you wish to sue this former tenant for the cost of the damage she left behind?

If so, remember that most of these types of lawsuits are handled through Small Claims courts (or your states version of such) and since they typically involve small amounts of monies they do not require that one hire an attorney.

In terms of getting rid of what she left behind...keep in mind that some states require that a landlord keep these items for a certain period of time, notifying the tenant they have these. If you'll post the state this took place in, we'll do some hunting to see what the requirements are.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back