Tenant burned up pump, flooded basement

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeidiLL

My husband and I live in a new 3-story house and are currently renting out the finished basement to a female tenant. The way that our house is plumbed, the tenant is on a separate pump than the upper two floors. Unbeknown to us, our tenant had been flushing tampons and Q-tips down the toilet, which eventually caused the pump to burn out and our basement to flood with raw sewage. The plumbing bill came to $2500. Can we hold her responsible for paying some or all of this? We had her sign a lease, which stated that we, the LL, are responsible for repairs unless caused by the negligence of the tenant. Does this qualify as negligence? When she moved in we didn't specifically alert her to the fact that she couldn't flush feminine hygiene products down the toilet as it's on a pump. We assumed it was common sense not to flush anything but human waste and toilet paper.

Here's the back story: My husband and I noticed a foul stench coming from the basement three days prior to the flood, but passed it off as perhaps our tenant had eaten some bad food that evening. The next day the odor had subsided, but returned with a vengeance the following day. Growing concerned, we confronted her about the smell to which she admitted smelling it as well, but had "no idea" where it was coming from. After some prying, she finally admitted that the toilet had backed up two days prior, when we first noticed that smell. My husband asked if he could take a look at the toilet for her, but she insisted that the problem had gone away, so no need. That following day I found a note from our tenant informing us that while she was in the shower, water had flooded into the bathroom through the wall from the neighboring storage room (where the plumbing is located). Given that I was home when this occurred, I was really upset that she didn't bother to alert me immediately, but instead left a note on the counter, and allowed our basement to soak in raw sewage while she went off to work.

In retrospect, there is absolutely NO WAY that she couldn't have realized that the smell was originating from the storage room days earlier, particularly as she uses that room regularly as her kitchenette. In fact, the plumbers even said that had they been called out to look at the system when it first clogged, there is a very good chance they could have saved our pump, costing us $350, instead of $2500.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Is your basement zoned for tenant use?
You might be renting to her in violation of local code.
If so, pressing this will bring you a bunch of trouble and hassle.

You might want to consult with a local attorney.
You need to know IF what you've done is legal.
Only an attorney in YOUR area can tell you for sure.

I have doubts about the legality of renting a basement to someone as a habitable premise.

You aren't supposed to rent areas that are uninhabitable for humans.

If you have done this, your tenant could sue you.
The local government could pounce all over you.

Speak to an attorney tomorrow.
I don't have enough information to give you specific legal guidance, other than to say, I think you might face some legal jeopardy; in addition to your plumbing woes.

Thanks! This information is very helpful. I will consult an attorney about the zoning as we did not realize there are local guidelines. This is our first time renting our space to a tenant (she's a friend of a friend) and will be the last.

However, I am confident that the space we are renting will be deemed completely habitable, as it's not at all the dungenous basement that I suspect you are imagining. It is over 1300sqft of completely finished living space that includes 1 large bdrm/1 full bathroom, den, family room, storage/hobby room, and a shared kitchen and laundry room. It's very bright with 12ft ceilings, plenty of windows and direct access to the backyard. By the "kitchenette" in the storage room, I was simply refering to the tenants own microwave and minifridge, which she has for convenience, but is certainly not her primary dining area. The house is only a year old, and completely up to code.

If that is true, you can sue her in small claims court for the damage to your property.

Proving negligence is very difficult.

You, no doubt, have begun eviction proceedings?

Getting her out is your best bet at this point.

She's already cost you more than what she's paid.

She's renting because she has no apreciation for a beautiful home or the resources to obtain one.

Get her out ASAP, before the next shoe drops!!!

It isn't wise to rent rooms or space to anyone (including relatives) in your primary abode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back