Tenant/Lanlord Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaylyn524

On Tuesday May 4, 2010 my landlord took me to court saying I owed her more money in back rent than what I showed. The judge ruled in my favor and gave both parties 30 days to complete what he wanted us to complete. My end is that I have to come up with $1700 in back rent (which I agree with) and as far as the lanlord she has to fix everything we presented in court before the 30 days. Yesterday my landlord asked me for money to fix the windows. Am I obligated to give her money to help her complete her end of the agreement with the judge? I got the impression that we both had 30 days to complete all of this. Please advise.

No, you're not obligated to give this money; however, I'd suggest a common sense solution.

Sounds like your landlord hasn't the funds to fix the windows (probably because someone didn't pay their rent regularly). Or they are concerned that they'll fix the windows (and other repair issues) and you won't pay what you owe.

Why don't you find out what fixing the windows will cost and provide that out of the $1700. The windows will get fixed sooner and it seems like it would be easier to pay what you owe in "payments" rather than in one lump sum. This will also show your "good faith" that you intend to meet your financial obligation.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back