Tenant problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTGlitter

Please help! We entered into a lease with option to buy in June of 2009. The agreement as strange as it may have been was that the landlord would continue residing at the property for one year and in exchange the price of the home at time it was to be purchased was very low for the market. No other consideration was given by tenant. Two weeks into the lease the tenant called code enforcement to have landlord removed. Landlord agreed to put an egress window in basement so that not to have any violations, as that is where landlord was to reside. Tenant would not allow landlord to do so thus forcing landlord out. Landlord was also to be able to store his belongings in basement and shed and store a camper and hot tub at property for one year. Tenant began destroying property, landlord removed everything but what is in shed. Tenant will not allow landlord on property, he repeatedly calls the police. All of these agreements are in writing. Due to the sale price of the house being reflected with these agreements is it possible to end the option to buy? The reason this lease was written as such as the landlord and tenant had been friends for many years.

I'm really trying to get a handle on what you are saying:

Landlord is the OWNER of the property (you?). Tenant is the person wanting to purchase the property. Tenant moved in upstairs and is paying rent? Landlord was to stay downstairs rent free.

Landlord agreed to put an egress window in basement so that not to have any violations, as that is where landlord was to reside. Tenant would not allow landlord to do so thus forcing landlord out.

Landlord is the owner of the property and Tenant can not prevent him from putting a window in the basement.

Landlord was also to be able to store his belongings in basement and shed and store a camper and hot tub at property for one year. Tenant began destroying property, landlord removed everything but what is in shed.

This makes tenant in violation of the lease agreement and he/she is liable for any damage to the landlord's property.

Tenant will not allow landlord on property, he repeatedly calls the police. All of these agreements are in writing. Due to the sale price of the house being reflected with these agreements is it possible to end the option to buy?

I would bring eviction proceedings against the tenant for not fulfilling the terms of the lease option. I would return any down payment minus the cost of damaged property and get out of the option all together. Tell me who much I understand and I'll modify the advice accordingly.

Thank you so much for your help. That was what I was thinking also but, was afraid of getting sued for anything that the tenant might have remodeled by now. Thanks again!

There was no down payment money given as landlord also owner of property was to live there and store belongings for one year. This was the agreement instead of having a down payment and market value for the house. I understand this is a big mess. As it goes it was supposed to be a friendly deal between almost life long friends. Unfortunately the tenant's mother got involved and it turned into a disaster!!!!! The tenant refuses to even speak to landlord making him go thorough his mother. The tenant is also threatening to bring legal action against land lord for harassment and the landlord has only been to the house 3 times since lease began and that was to get his belongings out. Yes, a lawyer first would've been the smart thing to do. Never again!

The landlord and property is one in the same. (not me, a friend) Landlord was to stay in basement for free. Tenant was to live upstairs. Tenant received a price that was about 20,000 lower than market value for the home because of this agreement. This agreement was tenant's idea to be able to get the home in his price range. Landlord figured he'd be able to save the difference in a year rather than paying to live elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back