Termination of Lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllieMac

I am a resident of Georgia who needs some advice, please.
Recently I was notified by my landlord, they would not be renewing my lease effective 12/1/09. I have been a tenant for three years, signing a lease at each renewal period. I was given verbal notification of this on 10/15/09 (less than 60 days).
My Question is this: since I paid my first and last months rent at the very beginning of my association with them, can I forgo my last months rent (November) in effort to prepare for my move?
Also, by law (GA), does my landlord have to provide 60 days written notice prior to asking me to leave their property?
I want to ensure I am following the law to the best of my ability.

Thanks!!!

Allie

If you've already paid for the last month of your lease, there is no reason you should pay again for November (I'm assuming what you paid WAS for the last month of your rent and not your security deposit, correct?).

Georgia requires that a landlord provide a 60 day notice in the event of a "tenancy at will"; i.e., where there is no written lease. If you have continued to renew your written lease, you do not have a "tenancy at will" rental situation.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back