The Best way to deal with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankie

I'm the landlord signed lease with a tenant (couple) who won't move in until Oct. 1. Since they were the best at the time we allowed since they had to give 30 days notice. Our mistake we should have waited to see if someone better came along. Live and learn.

Question: The bathroom hasn't a shower just a tub. There is a shower in the basement. They both can get to the basement, the one has more difficulty, but is able to do to the washing. We told her we'd try to do some sort of hand held shower idea in the tub and put up shower curtains to protect the window and cupboard above the tub and the side wall. The one person proceeded to tell me If I took down the cupboard I could put an add on shower (this I knew, but for a 7 month lease didn't feel it was worth the effort) and I would still have to put up curtains to protect that wall. So told her we would put up shower curtains and she could use a bath chair and use the hand held type. She had been fine with that at the start.

Then she proceeded to say there was some grease at the exhaust fan. The place is spotless we had just taken out the microwave near there. I think they are going to be knickpicking everything.

I'm just not sure how to deal with these people. They came to measure the rooms today.

Thank you

There's nothing legal that says you have to provide a shower. Some rentals just have tubs, some showers, many both.

Is there, perhaps a clawfoot tub that you're talking about (I have several of those in my rentals and it's not unusual that many of these do not have shower attachments)? I did purchase a shower/clawfoot rod/faucett on ebay for one of them that ran me under $100.

If you are concerned that these are going to be picky tenants, you can always provide them what many landlords call "the Happy Clause". You tell them you don't think they'll be happy in your rental and you'll gladly tear up the lease and give them back their deposit and rent.

Or, you can require that all requests for repairs MUST be in writing (via the post office, not an email) and only true emergencies (i.e., fire, flood, explosion) should be reported via the phone.

Gail

The tub has walls (window) on two sides and wall with cupboard on the third. As to the payment they haven't actually paid any rent yet, just signed the lease and placed a partial payment down on the security deposit. The rest will be paid after the First of Sept. Could I require the payment in full now?

Thank you

If your going to be a landlord you need to know more about renting as you have several questions here. Payment on security deposit should have been dne prior to move but you accepted partial. Much depends on what agreement you had when you accepted partialpayment

The agreement was we asked for a non-refundable deposit (if they backed out before moving in). Otherwise, the payment would go toward their rent & security deposit. The amount was less than we requested, as they were having a cash flow problem. They are suppose to pay the rest $350 after Sept. 1. That will take care of the security deposit and they still owe the rent on or before Oct 1, 2009. They make $50,000 a year I don't anticipate this to be a continued problem.
Can I request the entire amount $350 and the 1st month rent before Oct. 1, 2009? However the lease does state the rent has to be paid by the first of each month.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back