The scary new ways you're about to get overcharged for everything

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
US Federal Law
Story by Albert Fox Cahn 7 min read
When I was flying back from London a few weeks ago, I slipped into a rabbit hole I haven't tunneled out of since. I knew what I had paid for my seat, how many miles I had used for the indulgence of an upgrade. But I had no idea if the woman across the aisle had spent only a few points, as I had, or paid the more than $10,000 the airline could charge for the same trip. To book a flight has long been to play a game where only the airline knows the rules, with countless booking codes, loyalty programs, and fare changes that weaponize your data against your wallet. But after I landed, I kept seeing the same rigged game everywhere: in every Uber ride, every Amazon order, every trip to the supermarket. All these businesses now know so much about me that they can see a number blinking above my head: the exact price I'd be willing to pay in a given moment. Your own number is blinking above your head right now.

In the algorithmic age, pricing variability is increasingly creeping into digital commerce, with charges going up and down in real time.

What's far more disturbing is the rise of personalized pricing, digital retailers' practice of exploiting your own data to charge the precise price you're willing to pay, which might be different from what the guy next to you would pay. Personalized pricing not only bakes in bias and can drive inflation but creates a world where you never know when your apps are ripping you off.

Now, when I'm on the verge of paying for anything on my phone or laptop, I second-guess whether I'd be paying less if I were using someone else's account.

I still remember the low-grade shock I felt a decade ago when I learned that price discrimination is often perfectly legal in the United States. In law school, my antitrust professor introduced us to the obscure Depression-era Robinson-Patman Antidiscrimination Act by quickly highlighting that this law very much failed to live up to its title. Under the long-standing law, companies can face ruinous penalties for price discrimination only if they're discriminating against other businesses. If a wholesaler overcharged a store, the store could take it to court, but there was nothing then (or now) to stop the store from doing the same thing to its customers. That is, store owners have more price protections than their customers. If a store generally charges some customers more than others because of their gender, race, or other legally protected characteristics, that's certainly illegal. But when companies want to shake down each customer for the most they're individually willing to pay, they're free to engage in highway robbery.

I say low-grade shock because at the time personalized pricing discrimination was far less widespread and harmful than it is today. Sure, coupon culture let companies sell the same product in the same store at the same time at different prices — but it gave customers agency. Price-sensitive shoppers took the time to scour for clippings, and less thrifty ones paid full freight. Coupons, loyalty cards, seasonal discounts — a lot of traditional price discrimination lets individual shoppers choose which price group they want to fall into.

But algorithmic price discrimination takes away that choice. And the methods to extract data to sort people into pricing groups are more invasive than you may realize. Take your latest Uber trip. When you ordered that car, you probably knew that the distance you were going and the time of day were price factors, as we've grown begrudgingly accustomed to the cold, extractive efficiency of surge pricing. But did you think about plugging in your phone before ordering the ride? If you did, it might have saved you a few bucks, because your battery level is allegedly one of the factors Uber uses to price your trip, a charge that Uber vigorously denies. If the allegations against Uber are true, it's easy to see a rationale: Those with less battery left are more desperate, and those whose phones are minutes away from dying won't hesitate to pay nearly any price to get a car before they're stranded.

As The American Prospect recently detailed, this type of individualized pricing is proliferating across nearly every sector of the economy (streaming, fast food, and even dating apps), and it can be surprising which variables will get you charged more. In the 2010s, retailers relied on somewhat crude data to perfect pricing. Customers might've paid more for a flight they booked on a Mac (versus a PC) or paid a higher rate for test prep in ZIP codes with larger Asian communities. But in recent years companies have moved from neighborhood-level price discrimination to individualized pricing.

Retailers like Amazon know so, so much about what you buy, both on its platform and off. And you have no way of knowing when your choices are changing what you pay. In 2018, it was headline news that Amazon adjusted prices 2.5 million times a day. Given Amazon's growth and the growth of AI, the number is likely an order of magnitude higher today. For retailers like Walmart, it's not enough to use our shopping history. In February, the retail behemoth agreed to buy the smart-TV maker Vizio for more than $2 billion, potentially giving Walmart a windfall of intimate consumer data. Smart TVs not only monitor what we watch with Orwellian precision but track other nearby devices with ultrasonic beacons, and can even listen in to what we say in the privacy of our own homes. Vizio specifically has been fined millions of dollars over allegations that it illegally spied on customers.

Not only do retailers know what you've bought and how much money you make, but often they know where you are, how your day is going, and what your mood is like, all of which can be neatly synthesized by AI neural networks to calculate how much you'd pay for a given item in a given moment.

Your age, gender, and sexual orientation might determine what the AI decides you need to pay for love.
No area of commerce is too personal to be off-limits. Dating apps are harvesting our romantic lives for data, but some openly brag about doing so to increase profitability. And many of those that don't disclose using personalized pricing still do it. Tinder rarely talks about its pricing technology, but Mozilla and Consumers International recently found that the dating app used dozens of variables to radically adjust pricing for users. Your age, gender, and sexual orientation might determine what the AI decides you need to pay for love.

Left unchecked, personalized pricing will have pernicious effects across society. Nikolas Guggenberger, an assistant professor at the University of Houston Law Center, says that "hidden algorithmic price discrimination can undermine public trust in price-building mechanisms and thus undermine the marketplace." AI pricing also means that those who are the most desperate and most vulnerable will often pay the most. Even worse, people could be penalized because of their race, age, or class. Take the phone-battery allegation. Older people are more than twice as likely than younger users to have a phone that's at least three years old. Since older smartphones tend to have lower battery life, older people could end up paying more than younger people for the same Uber rides.

"Algorithmic price discrimination can basically automate usury," Guggenberger says. "If your battery is about to die and you are out in the country, a ride-sharing app may drastically raise your 'personalized price.'"

So much of AI pricing acts as a regressive tax, charging those with the most the least. For people in underserved areas, with fewer stores, fewer alternatives, there's often no choice but to click "buy now," even when it hurts. As the law professor and consumer watchdog Zephyr Teachout told The American Prospect, we shouldn't think of this practice as something as innocuous-sounding as personalized pricing — instead, she calls it surveillance pricing.

We know how to prove human discrimination. If a store in a majority-Black neighborhood charges more than its counterpart in a majority-white neighborhood, testers can go to each store, record the prices, and bring a lawsuit. This sort of testing has been at the core of consumer protections for most of a century. But how do you prove when an algorithm discriminates? There are no stores to visit, no price tags to compare, just millions of screens siloed in people's pockets. The result can be a Catch-22, where you can get enough data to prove the discrimination only by suing a company, but you can't sue the company without first having the data. We could see the rise of a perverse, bizarro legal world where companies using bias-prone AI to adjust prices in secret face less legal scrutiny than brick-and-mortar stores.

My hope is that this situation is so bleak, the potential for abuse so clear, that not even our dysfunctional democracy will accept it. Our lawmakers have been so slow to rein in the harms of novel technology, even when it becomes clear, for example, that it's undermining our democracy. But even in these polarized times, AI pickpocketing may be one of those rare issues that can unite us in outrage.

Albert Fox Cahn is the founder and executive director of the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project, or STOP, a New York-based civil-rights and privacy group.

As long as the discrimination is not based on criteria that is illegal under the law (e.g. race, sex, etc) it is legal. I also disagree with the author's opinion that negotiating different prices for the same service is necessarily immoral. The details of what occurred matter.

When we go to a flea market and haggle over prices, some buyers will get a better price than others for the same item. Same thing when you go to a car dealer. Each buyer is going to make their own deal, and some will do better at that than others. That's the free market at work. It's up to the consumer to decide what price is too high for him or her to pay. Most Americans are not used to haggling over prices at retail stores, but that practice is common in some other countries. Sellers want to move product and and the really good ones will, when asked by a customer, be willing to negotiate a bit on the larger ticket items if doing that will get a sale that would otherwise be lost if the seller stuck to his guns and didn't negotiate. In short, I'm not seeing the abuse about which he complains. What I'm seeing is the market working as it should, and how it worked for hundreds of years before big box stores and uniform pricing became the big thing.

When buying big price items at a store, I dont hesitate to make an offer to the manager for a lower price than what the tag says. It doesn't always work, in which case I've lost nothing, but when it does work I end up saving money that I'd have spent if I just took the price tag figure as meaning that's the only price at which the store will sell it. On the other side, I've negotiated my fee agreements with clients when they are reluctant to pay my usual fee. It's the same concept — I might provide the same service to two clients, but one gets a better fee arrangement because he or she was willing to ask about negotiating the fee agreement.

As long as the discrimination is not based on criteria that is illegal under the law (e.g. race, sex, etc) it is legal. I also disagree with the author's opinion that negotiating different prices for the same service is necessarily immoral. The details of what occurred matter.
The article is not about negotiating for a lower price. It's about the use of computer algorithms and personal data collection and used (without the consumer's knowledge) to maximize corporate profit on the sale of identical products and services to different individuals at different prices. Just look at the Uber example.

But did you think about plugging in your phone before ordering the ride? If you did, it might have saved you a few bucks, because your battery level is allegedly one of the factors Uber uses to price your trip, a charge that Uber vigorously denies. If the allegations against Uber are true, it's easy to see a rationale: Those with less battery left are more desperate, and those whose phones are minutes away from dying won't hesitate to pay nearly any price to get a car before they're stranded.
That is immoral.

Last edited:
What is weird about what you posted is it is all tied to the phones we use. I have noticed several hundred dollar differences from booking flights on the airlines app vs their websites. I have also noticed surge pricing on Uber only to switch to Lyft and then see the surge pricing removed on Uber when booking the next trip. It is a strange world we live in, one where the deals you get depend upon the particular app you use and the timing of the booking.

It is a strange world we live in, one where the deals you get depend upon the particular app you use and the timing of the booking.

I agree, and the strange world is becoming an even whackier, weirder one.

People have become slaves of their own accord, making life easier for our unseen masters to wreak even more chaos, havoc, and misery upon the little people.

The article is not about negotiating for a lower price. It's about the use of computer algorithms and personal data collection and used (without the consumer's knowledge) to maximize corporate profit on the sale of identical products and services to different individuals at different prices. Just look at the Uber example.

The article is about how large companies set their prices. Some will negotiate, and some won't. Pricing models which charge different prices based on the differences in demand among different customers (what I call micro pricing) have been around for a long time. What's different today is that modern technology allows them to do that in a much more refined way, to get the most sales at the highest price the buyer is willing to pay. Businesses have long sought to have that capability, and there is nothing illegal in setting prices that way as long as the target markets aren't based on a prohibited characteristic, like race. If you believe in a truly free market place and dislike government regulation generally then micro pricing shouldn't be a big deal. It'd be a real tragedy, IMO, if the government starts to regulate the prices of goods. I'll give you an example — what would you rather have for airfare prices, a system where the federal government must approve all the fares (which was the model before the Reagan administration deregulated air travel) or today's system in which airlines compete on price and now use a variety of micro pricing plans?

I have noticed several hundred dollar differences from booking flights on the airlines app vs their websites.

There is a good reason for that. Google and Apple both charge up to 30% of the sale price for sales made through apps on their platform. That cost is then passed on to the customer. It's the same principle of airlines charging a bit more for flights booked through a travel agent in which the airline pays the travel agent fee than they charge when the customer buys the ticket from the airline directly. Selling tickets via their own web sites is the cheapest way by far for airlines to sell tickets, so it's not much of a surprise to me that often that's where the best deals are found.

The article is about how large companies set their prices. Some will negotiate, and some won't. Pricing models which charge different prices based on the differences in demand among different customers (what I call micro pricing) have been around for a long time. What's different today is that modern technology allows them to do that in a much more refined way, to get the most sales at the highest price the buyer is willing to pay.
You can negotiate with human beings. You can't negotiate with a computer algorithm that uses your personal data to set pricing. Try to negotiate the next time you need an Uber ride, or you order something on Amazon and let us know how it works out. :)

You can negotiate with human beings. You can't negotiate with a computer algorithm that uses your personal data to set pricing. Try to negotiate the next time you need an Uber ride, or you order something on Amazon and let us know how it works out. :)

You can negotiate with some humans. Others stand firm on their pricing no matter what. Some online seller sites do have ways where the buyer may make an offer, though most don't. Most retail stores set prices and don't give their employees the power to negotiate prices, but some do. In some stores, the managers have that authority, and the customer just needs to ask to find out what they may be willing to do. I've even occasionally succeeded in negotiating with health insurance companies over coverage, getting them to agree to a slight modification of their stated contract to get a result that ended up benefiting both me and the insurance company.

Some sellers have been micropricing for decades. These algorithms are simply more refined tools for doing that. The media, as it likes to do, is making this sound like something totally new and projecting the worst possible outcomes they can think of that would come from it. Stories of apocalypse tend to get more viewers/readers than those that project a sunny future. That, of course, isn't new. The world of selling hasn't collapsed yet from micropricing and my bet is that these more narrowly targeted versions of it won't bring a great economic downfall. What the press stories also typically leave out is that as these practices pop up, other web sites come up that tell you how they work and what to do get the best price possible. Again, the airline industry is a great example of that. The free market in action. It's a story as old as commerce itself: buyers who want the best deal sometimes need to do some work to find the lowest price. If you ask you might be surprised at what some companies will be willing to do to get the sale. Americans, unlike those in a lot other countries, have been conditioned to just pay the sticker price for most things (cars and houses being notable exceptions) believing that negotiation isn't possible. But how do you know it's not possible until you at least make the effort? All they can say is no, and you're no worse off for having asked.

I find it interesting that some of the most ardent defenders of free enterprise and opponents of most economic regulation by the government on this site lament this trend and seem to suggest that government regulation to address it might actually be a good thing (after all, how else will we force companies not to do what has been termed in some posts as "immoral" except by regulation) when free enterprise might make them work harder to save a buck or might end up costing them a bit more.

Perhaps it's time for some Republicans on Capitol hill and state legislatures admit that sometimes government economic regulation may well be needed to protect consumers. You might think this might be one of those situations. I don't happen to think so, but there are other areas in which I've supported some consumer rights legislation. IMO, in general, the less government intrusion we have, the better, but there are times where it's necessary. The free market totally unchecked is not a good thing. We do need some rules to keep the playing field level and encourage competition. It'll be interesting to see if the MAGA Republicans will line up in favor of regulating micro pricing when their constituents start complaining, or will they stand firm on their beliefs that pretty much all government regulation of business is a bad thing?

For the moment I'm not going to join the chicken littles out there crying the sky is falling because of this pricing trend. It bears watching, and if it does somehow end up being insidious then I may embrace one of the solutions that people will start coming up with. But for now, let's let the free market determine how this plays out. It may be that consumer reaction will force changes to these practices. That's generally preferable for me than resorting to regulation right off the bat.

There is a good reason for that. Google and Apple both charge up to 30% of the sale price for sales made through apps on their platform. That cost is then passed on to the customer. It's the same principle of airlines charging a bit more for flights booked through a travel agent in which the airline pays the travel agent fee than they charge when the customer buys the ticket from the airline directly. Selling tickets via their own web sites is the cheapest way by far for airlines to sell tickets, so it's not much of a surprise to me that often that's where the best deals are found.

You misunderstood, the apps are typically cheaper than online bookings. Priceline and Travelocity both show prices for major carriers which you can then book through the individual airlines app. Weird I know since you would expect the online bookings to be less.

The world of selling hasn't collapsed yet from micropricing and my bet is that these more narrowly targeted versions of it won't bring a great economic downfall.

What this algorithmic micro-pricing (as you call it) will do, is fuel inflation. Each time someone is made to pay more (not based on what a product or service costs to manufacturer or provide but what a vender can get for it) the next time, the consumer will be willing to pay even more on the assumption that inflations is what is driving up the price when in fact, it is just corporate profit that is causing the increase.

Americans, unlike those in a lot other countries, have been conditioned to just pay the sticker price for most things (cars and houses being notable exceptions) believing that negotiation isn't possible.

I will have to take your word for that about other countries. You have to distinguish between small privately owned stores and large corporate owned stores. And even then, there is no negotiating. The price is the price, period. That has been my experience in my travels abroad.

I can't imagine going into a Home Depot and telling the manager that I don't want to pay the price of a new water heater. He/she would tell me sorry, that is the price in the computer and that is the price. How about calling your electric company and saying that I don't want to pay the price for the KWH or the transmission costs? What is their answer? That is the price. Go to the supermarket and say my tab is too high. Can you reduce it? Answer is no. The price is the price. My auto insurance is too high can you reduce it? Not for the same coverage you want. The price is the price. Go into a pizzeria and order an Italian hero that cost $7.00 and ask if you can pay $6.00. Wana bet what the answer will be?

I really don't know where you get the idea that you can negotiate a price if you just ask. Where you could negotiate is with contract prices like in home improvements, landscaping, private contractors, professional services, etc. In business-to-business transactions, there is always negotiations to settle on a price. But not in the retail markets.

I find it interesting that some of the most ardent defenders of free enterprise and opponents of most economic regulation by the government on this site lament this trend and seem to suggest that government regulation to address it might actually be a good thing (after all, how else will we force companies not to do what has been termed in some posts as "immoral" except by regulation) when free enterprise might make them work harder to save a buck or might end up costing them a bit more.

Let me make this clear, I am always for less government intrusion into our lives. I am a free-market advocate and don't want the government telling businesses what they can and can't do in the marketplace except when there is a clear threat to our free-market economy or to our way of life. Such is the case with monopolies that control large sectors of the economy. They should be broken up.
It'll be interesting to see if the MAGA Republicans will line up in favor of regulating micro pricing when their constituents start complaining, or will they stand firm on their beliefs that pretty much all government regulation of business is a bad thing?
Not all regulation on business is bad. What is bad is the is the Un constructional regulation of business by the Executive branch where they overstep their constitutional authority given to it by Congress. Overturning the Chevron doctrine should help set that right in the years to come.

Last edited:
I really don't know where you get the idea that you can negotiate a price if you just ask. Where you could negotiate is with contract prices like in home improvements, landscaping, private contractors, professional services, etc. In business-to-business transactions, there is always negotiations to settle on a price. But not in the retail markets.

I get that idea from having actually done it myself. Sure, a lot of places will stick firm on the price, but some will give a bit if you ask. I bought a computer a number of years ago from a chain store and thought the price was too high, so I offered the store a price a few hundred bucks lower (this was back when computers were still relatively expensive items) and for a couple program packages I wanted tossed in for free too. We went back and forth a little bit, but in the end I did get most of the discount I wanted. That's just one example.

I wouldn't try that in a grocery store because the margins on most food items is less than 5%, they don't have the room to bargain. They make their money on the volume of sales rather than a high profit off the individual items.

Some kinds of things are easier to bargain over and after a long time trying I've gotten a decent sense of what kinds of situations it may work,

When buying something that has a significant price tag and a large margin for the retailer though, I'll almost always ask. The worst thing that can happen is I have to take it or leave it at the sticker price. But sometimes I do succeed in getting discounts that are reasonably good. It has worked well enough for me to make it worthwhile for me to try.

As the expression goes, your mileage may vary on that.

Let me make this clear, I am always for less government intrusion into our lives. I am a free-market advocate and don't want the government telling businesses what they can and can't do in the marketplace except when there is a clear threat to our free-market economy or to our way of life. Such is the case with monopolies that control large sectors of the economy. They should be broken up.

My position is not all that far from yours. I support regulation when it comes to significant health and safety issues, combating fraud, and like you support at least some anti-trust actions. The AT&T break up was one I supported, and overall that action did benefit consumers and the economy. But a number of anti-trust calls from some Democrats I staunchly oppose, especially when the real driver is not consumer benefit but rather union benefit.
Not all regulation on business is bad. What is bad is the is the Un constructional regulation of business by the Executive branch where they overstep their constitutional authority given to it by Congress. Overturning the Chevron doctrine should help set that right in the years to come.

That hits pretty close to where I am, too (although I think auto correct didn't do you a favor, I'm positive you meant to say unconstitutional regulation). I had always thought Chevron was too deferential to the government agencies and I'm not sorry to see it gone. Hopefully the standard that the courts finally settle on to replace it won't create a whole set problems. Congress is the obvious body to spell out clearly what powers agencies have, but it's never seemed much interested in going down that road.

Back