told to leave MY property

Status
Not open for further replies.

murphm

I recently bought a home and had my girlfriend,:confused: her parents, and her brother move in . the verbal agreement was that they would help with the mortgage and the electric bill. they stopped paying and I asked them to leave. They asked me how long they had to get out and I told them the sooner the better. I came home from work the other night and they told me I had to leave. I didn't want to cause any problems so I am not returning to the house. All the furnishings belong to me and as I stated earlier, the house is mine. what recourse do I have?

You begin the formal process of evicting them. It appears you do not have a written lease with them; therefore, they would be considered to have a "tenancy at will" or be month to month renters.

As a general rule (and depending on your state) such tenancies can be terminated with a 30 day written notice on the part of either party.

However, since they have not paid rent, you can begin the eviction process. Again, this typically means notifying them in writing by a "Pay or Quit" notice, giving them a certain amount of time to pay owed rent and if this deadline passes, beginning the actual process of eviction.

If you will list your state, we'll send information on the notice/eviction process for that state.

This is your house and unless you have another place of residence (i.e., if you live in this house) you certainly have the right to enter it. If you have another residence you follow the rules of giving them 24 hours notice that you will be entering this house (unless, of course, there is an emergency repair situation).

Gail

I live in Delaware. If I read this correctly, I do not have to leave the house and, I do not have to give them 24hr notice to go in the house. This is my only residence. Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back