Trapped by Landlady

Status
Not open for further replies.

jneal27

My situation could have been easily avoided, but occurred anyway. I have been renting a room for the last 5 yrs. My landlady and I have a fairly good relationship and about a year and a half ago, she appointed me to collect the rent for 3 other renters in my 2 story bldg. I made the mistake of not keeping records of my own payments, all of the payments were deposited into her checking acct. During this time, she changed banks and recently, I had to make a few deposits into her daughters' acct. for a few weeks before going back to her own acct.. My rent payments were on time until the beginning of this summer, when my hours were cut (I have no other employer). For at least 2 years, this landlady has not been to my bldg. despite complaints of high weeds growing in the backyard. This backyard is accessible through one room (not mine) on the 1st floor, a tenant moved out of that room last month after several complaints. Complaints were also made of non-repairs to both floors. I was called yesterday about catching up with my rent. I believe to be one month short, but she claims that I am three months short. The job that I have doesn't pay enough to repay 3 mos rent right away, and I have no one to turn to for help. On top of this, I live on the 1st floor in a converted room that has no window or ventilation. I made do by using a fan and carefully cracking my door at night. I can't afford to risk my life if someone broke in by doing this every night. Is my living space truly illegal?? and if so, what are my rights??

I don't mean to sound harsh but for the past five years it appears your living arrangements were just fine and dandy...until you now face the possibility of eviction due to owing rent.

One cannot help but think that you are looking for way to avoid this by suddenly coming up with all sorts of issues that the place you live in is now uninhabitable. After five years you've suddenly become concerned about the risk of leaving your door cracked at night?

You state that complaints have been made regarding repair issues. Have any of these been in writing? What types of repairs are we talking about. Overgrown weeds in the back yard are not a reason to break a lease without the risk of financial penalties.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back