Consumer Law, Warranties U Haul Auctioned Life Possessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy_Bleeker

For 18 years I paid for a U Haul storage unit by American Express credit card. I noticed I wasn't being billed last month, called and learned that they sold my stuff. The info they used to send certified letters was old, although I remember changing it with them during an in-person visit to the unit several years ago.

However, they said they tried to bill my American Express card several times before declaring my account delinquent. American Express has absolutely no record of this. Meaning, after 18 years of the same monthly procedure, they inexplicably didn't/couldn't bill my credit card account (which has not changed) and sold my life's possessions. How do I hold them responsible? I have lost my entire life's history.

I believe you have a case. Putting a price tag on your belongings may be an issue but I would sue them for wrongful foreclosure. How were they charging your AMEX without a current address? If you can show that they had the correct AMEX info from previous charges, you can show they should have been able to charge the AMEX.

Good Luck.

U Haul Auctioned Life's Possessions

I had the same problem with U-haul. I don't dispute the fact that I owed them $750 in back rent, but did they have to sell all of my practically new possessions valued at $15,000 to get the $750. By the time I found out that I was behind in my payments, because the payments were coming out automatically from checking account, the auction was already scheduled and when I offered to pay a part of what I owed now and the rest in 2 weeks, when I got paid again, they told me they did not accept partial payments. Then they called me, 1 hour before the auction was to start and said I could do a settlement, but I did not have enough to do the settlement. I told them if they had informed me of the settlement earlier in the week, I could have gathered enough money for that. They auctions off my life's belongings, including important legal papers, jewelry, lots of furniture, some of which was brand new. I don't think I should have lost all that, for $750.
Do I have a valid case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back