Unpaid referral bonus

jeff360

Jurisdiction
Michigan
Over a year ago I referred an employee to my job. The terms of the referral agreement was that I was to be paid 10,000 dollars over the course of a year 2500 at 3 months, 2500 at 6 months, and 5000 at 12 months.
The referred employee is still employed but I haven't seen a dime.
I've addressed this with my direct manager, then to HR, then finally to the CEO of my business. They keep saying they will look into it. I finally got an email from HR saying that they have kicked it up to the corporate office in Texas and that their is nothing that my direct employer can do, as bonuses are paid out from corporate.
Can I file a lawsuit to get my money? I have no way of contacting corporate. It's been 18 months.

Over a year ago I referred an employee to my job. The terms of the referral agreement was that I was to be paid 10,000 dollars over the course of a year 2500 at 3 months, 2500 at 6 months, and 5000 at 12 months.
The referred employee is still employed but I haven't seen a dime.

Do you possess a WRITTEN COPY of the "referral agreement"?

If you have it, you MIGHT be able to collect what you alleged you were promised.

It would also assist you in getting paid, if you also possessed a WRITTEN COPY spelling out the details of the offer you alleged was made available to you.

If you have one or both documents referenced above, make copies of both.

Then write a letter to the appropriate person in corporate HR, maybe local HR.

Tell your story, provide the proof, you might end up collecting ALL of the promised moola.

Who was that agreement with? No names. Just that person's position in the company will suffice. And is that person still with the company? And, as previously stated, was anything in writing?
Yes, the referred employee is still there, I have a written agreement and also a recent email stating that the bonus us approved but my local facility isn't in charge of dispersing the payment, and they have notified corporate.

... a recent email stating that the bonus us approved but my local facility isn't in charge of dispersing the payment, and they have notified corporate.
You might need to wait a little bit at this point.

Over a year ago I referred an employee to my job.

When exactly did this happen?

The terms of the referral agreement was that I was to be paid 10,000 dollars over the course of a year 2500 at 3 months, 2500 at 6 months, and 5000 at 12 months.

I assume these times are in reference to the date of hire of the new employee. Correct? What was the date of the referral agreement?

I've addressed this with my direct manager, then to HR, then finally to the CEO of my business. They keep saying they will look into it. I finally got an email from HR saying that they have kicked it up to the corporate office in Texas and that their is nothing that my direct employer can do, as bonuses are paid out from corporate.

What is the distinction/relationship between "my business," "the corporate office," and "my direct employer"? Please make up fake names if that makes it easier to explain things. Which of these parties is the other party to the "referral agreement" that you mentioned? Who signed the referral agreement (I'm looking for a title, not a name)?

Can I file a lawsuit to get my money?

Anyone can sue anyone for anything, but suing one's employer is often a great way to get oneself fired.

I have no way of contacting corporate.

I doubt that very much and assume you meant that you don't presently have contact information for anyone at "corporate."

Back