unsafe building foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcarlile59

I have lived in my apartment with my fiance', and 2 year old daughter since October 2009. Since then there have been significant foundation shifts in my building. So much so, that there are now huge cracks in my walls all through the apartment. I seriously have the concern that my building could shift so much that it collapses. Just from my non expert looking around the building, I can see that the earth retention walls around the foundation are not built properly. There is no mortar between the large stones used in the retention walls, and several of the walls are crumbling with the dirt pouring through them. I would like to know if I might be able to legally get out of my lease, and if so what steps I would need to take, or which city or county officials I would need to contact to get this problem remedied. Oh, and also every time that my fiance' or I talk to the leasing office about this or any problem, they always give runaround answers, never any solid answers on if problems will be fixed or not. So going to the leasing office about this is almost completely pointless.

I have lived in my apartment with my fiance', and 2 year old daughter since October 2009. Since then there have been significant foundation shifts in my building. So much so, that there are now huge cracks in my walls all through the apartment. I seriously have the concern that my building could shift so much that it collapses. Just from my non expert looking around the building, I can see that the earth retention walls around the foundation are not built properly. There is no mortar between the large stones used in the retention walls, and several of the walls are crumbling with the dirt pouring through them. I would like to know if I might be able to legally get out of my lease, and if so what steps I would need to take, or which city or county officials I would need to contact to get this problem remedied. Oh, and also every time that my fiance' or I talk to the leasing office about this or any problem, they always give runaround answers, never any solid answers on if problems will be fixed or not. So going to the leasing office about this is almost completely pointless.

You can start with the city or county building inspectors.

Contact city hall, or the county building to seek their services.

They will come out and inspect the building.

If the building is unsafe, they'll immediately shut it down and order everyone out.

If that happens, the landlord is responsible for relocating you.

If that doesn't happen, you're stuck in your lease until it expires.

Breaking a lease isn't easy, and often costs you money.

There are some limited exceptions.

Don't expect the building official to declare the building unsafe.

Many Texas buildings crack, due to our summer heat.

That alone won't make a building unsafe.

But, contact the building inspector and see what happens.

Yours may be the exception and not the norm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back