unwanted houseguest

Status
Not open for further replies.

macoh13

My mother needed somewhere to stay. I told her she could "not" live here. I told her she could stay temporarily so that she could use my computer to find somewhere else to go. We agreed she would be out quickly. She has been here a year now and she has not been trying to find somewhere else to go. I have told her to several times. She has decided that she is not leaving. She does not pay rent or bills. I am a single mother with two kids living on unemployment. She is an added expense. How do I get her out of my house?

Often the best way to do this is to file for an actual eviction. Family members often don't leave without this "nudging" from the court system.

Evictions are typically initiated by the landlord (you) notifying the tenant (mom) in writing that they must vacate the premises within a certain number of days. If she fails to leave you then need to file for the actual eviction through the court system:

http://crosslandteam.com/blog/2008/03/29/tenant-eviction-in-texas/

Sometimes folks try to get reluctant relatives out by contacting local law enforcement; however, law enforcement sees this issue as civil and not criminal and unless there is some illegal activity going on, they will not step in to assist without a court order granting the eviction.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back