Visitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

loveinvein

My landlord will continually unlock my door and come in whenever she wants to talk to me. She recently came in while I was having a friend over. This friend was not spending the night, just visiting. She did not knock, just unlocked the front door and entered. She then told my friend she had to leave, and that I am not allowed to have guests of any kind. I live in a standard one bedroom, and my rent is in good standing and on time every month. Can she do this?

Is there anything in your lease agreement about guests, or times that guests are/are not allowed?

You say this happens continually... you should put the landlord on notice that this is unacceptable. Do your best to document these incidents and keep track of any witnesses. If it continues you may have a legitimate complaint to make that could pay out... though I am not quite certain what damages you are allowed to seek.

yeah

there is nothing in my lease about guests or landlord admittance, but she has been very stubborn. I work in surveillance and have documented her entering my apartment while I am at work. She walks in and looks in my rooms. Most recently she has declared that I am to never have any visitors, guests, or anyone in my apartment for any reason at any time. I understand that the woman is elderly, and very religious, but in the lease, there were no guest requirements or policy involving visitors, guests, or personal behavior. I have lived here for 3 months now and it is starting to drive me nuts. I pay my rent on time, every month. She enters the apartment at all hours, often coming in during dinner, or relaxing, or when my best friend(who lives down the street) is visiting. I admit I have an ignorance of the law regarding these situations, but this seems to me to be excessive. I find myself wondering when she will bust in, and feel a bit violated. When I ask her to leave, she tells me this is her property, and I have to let her in whenever. I am beginning to feel like I am in a boarding home. I don't like conflict, and am unsure of how to proceed. I do like to host small gatherings, such as after some of us go to the Symphony or the Playhouse, but I do not want to violate our agreement or law if she forbids visitors.

Drop the visitor issue its likely you can win that fight. You do have issues with the landlord entering your apartment without notice and unannounced and espeicailly when you are not home. You might tell your landlord she is breaking the law and if she does not stop you will take legal action. In meantime I suggest you look for a new apartment

yeah, I was thinking that too, it's just a shame because I am just getting settled in.

Maybe the old lady is a cougar and has you in her sights as a juicy, prize "prey"? :nuts :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back