What can i do

nonnax3

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My son financed a used vehicle approximately 9 months ago and was told by the dealer that he had to pay the sales tax directly to him within 30 days. After reviewing the paperwork from the finance company he saw the taxes were already included in his monthly payments so he didn't pay the dealer. A few days ago he was pulled over for a suspended registration for non payment of the sales tax. He wasn't even notified of the suspension. The officer was very understanding and said the state police are investigating several car dealerships for similar scams. He gave him a ticket but told him to fight it in court. My son immediately called the dealership to resolve the situation and didn't get any resolution. He was told that he had to pay them $62.00 a month in addition to his monthly car payments to cover the taxes. He was also told that the registration will be suspended until the taxes are paid in full meaning he can't use his car. This man is double dipping and it's just wrong. My son has all of the paperwork from the finance company with the tax included in his monthly payments. He works on the side as an Uber driver to cover his car payments and needs his car for work. In addition to the fraudulent amount of money being taken from him he is losing money he desperately needs from not being able to work.

In addition to the fraudulent amount of money being taken from him he is losing money he desperately needs from not being able to work.
I suggest your son visit the district attorney's office the county where he resides. The district attorney MIGHT be able to assist him in the troublesome matter.

Where can I report a business for suspected tax fraud?

You may report fraud on our website at: http://www.revenue.pa.gov/GetAssistance/Pages/Report-Suspected-Tax-Fraud.aspx

Or, you may report tax fraud by contacting the Office of Criminal Tax Investigations. There are 4 offices located in Pennsylvania. You may contact the office closest to you.

Harrisburg Office
5th Floor
Strawberry Square
Harrisburg, PA 17128
Telephone: 717-783-9685

Philadelphia Office
4600 Edgmont Ave
Brookhaven, PA 19015
Telephone: 610-447-3266

Pittsburgh Office
875 Greentree Road
11 Parkway Ctr – Suite 135
Pittsburgh, PA 15220
Telephone: 412-920-2041

Scranton Office
100 Lackawanna Ave
Room B5
Scranton, PA 18503
Telephone: 570-963-4390

Another option might be to visit the local DMV/SALES TAX Division

Unfortunately the link army judge gave you is now dead. Apparently whomever maintains the DOR page he got that from doesn't bother to check periodically to see that links are updated. Having once lived in PA and dealt with the DOR in the past, I can't say I'm all that surprised by that. The current DOR page with fraud contact information is this:

It's not clear whether any sales tax or other taxes are being evaded by the dealer, but it does appear that the dealer is fleecing you son. The PA tax fraud report won't directly help with that. Your son will need to take that on himself and consult a PA civil litigation attorney about that. In many states if you prove fraud you get extra damages; the most common amount I've seen is treble damages (that is, the amount awarded for the fraud is three times what you are awarded in actual damages). If the sales contract specifies the loser pays the winner's legal fees or if PA automatically awards fraud victims the amount of their attorney's fees on top of the actual damages that could make it well worth hiring an attorney to go after the dealer. The biggest thing your son can do to these scumbag dealers is hit them in the pocket book. It's the money that these guys care amount most. If the dealer gets charged by the state, the dealer might also be ordered to pay damages to your son if the dealer is convicted.

Suing the dealer, though, takes time and your son needs a car to drive now. One option to ask the lawyer about is seeking a court order lifting the ban on your son getting the car registered while the lawsuit goes on. Then at least he can get it registered and be on the road to work.

I suggest your son visit the district attorney's office the county where he resides. The district attorney MIGHT be able to assist him in the troublesome matter.

You may report fraud on our website at: http://www.revenue.pa.gov/GetAssistance/Pages/Report-Suspected-Tax-Fraud.aspx

Or, you may report tax fraud by contacting the Office of Criminal Tax Investigations. There are 4 offices located in Pennsylvania. You may contact the office closest to you.

Harrisburg Office
5th Floor
Strawberry Square
Harrisburg, PA 17128

Philadelphia Office
4600 Edgmont Ave
Brookhaven, PA 19015

Pittsburgh Office
875 Greentree Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15220
Telephone: 412-920-2041

Scranton Office
100 Lackawanna Ave
Room B5
Scranton, PA 18503
Telephone: 570-963-4390

Another option might be to visit the local DMV/SALES TAX Division

Thank you so much

Unfortunately the link army judge gave you is now dead. Apparently whomever maintains the DOR page he got that from doesn't bother to check periodically to see that links are updated. Having once lived in PA and dealt with the DOR in the past, I can't say I'm all that surprised by that. The current DOR page with fraud contact information is this:

It's not clear whether any sales tax or other taxes are being evaded by the dealer, but it does appear that the dealer is fleecing you son. The PA tax fraud report won't directly help with that. Your son will need to take that on himself and consult a PA civil litigation attorney about that. In many states if you prove fraud you get extra damages; the most common amount I've seen is treble damages (that is, the amount awarded for the fraud is three times what you are awarded in actual damages). If the sales contract specifies the loser pays the winner's legal fees or if PA automatically awards fraud victims the amount of their attorney's fees on top of the actual damages that could make it well worth hiring an attorney to go after the dealer. The biggest thing your son can do to these scumbag dealers is hit them in the pocket book. It's the money that these guys care amount most. If the dealer gets charged by the state, the dealer might also be ordered to pay damages to your son if the dealer is convicted.

Suing the dealer, though, takes time and your son needs a car to drive now. One option to ask the lawyer about is seeking a court order lifting the ban on your son getting the car registered while the lawsuit goes on. Then at least he can get it registered and be on the road to work.
Thank you so much it's greatly appreciated

Harrisburg Office
5th Floor
Strawberry Square
Harrisburg, PA 17128

Philadelphia Office
4600 Edgmont Ave
Brookhaven, PA 19015

Pittsburgh Office
875 Greentree Road