“Window tint” issue.

zerocool77

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
Hello, thanks for anyone who can help with my issue. I got pulled over for window tint. The car has never been altered by me and I purchased it new with no dealer tint. it's the back passenger windows that I was pulled over for which I have never altered on my 2023 Honda CRV. The officer got a device out to measure the rear tint and they measured at 24% and he didn't measure but said the hatch window was even darker. Apparently Tennessee law is 35% for everything except the front windows and windshield which are even stricter. I went to court some time later and The judge told me to remove the tint and pay a fine. But between getting pulled over and going to court I visited the dealer and called Honda corporate— the windows have no film on it and is a tinted glass and cannot be removed without removing the glass and replacing it with aftermarket glass. I told the judge this and even explained that most cars in the parking lot have the same tint from factory. They said it's no exceptions and I have to correct it and if I get pulled over for it again I will be arrested for a repeated violation or whatever. I have no clue what to do. I cannot afford a lawyer and every Car lot in my city has dozens of cars with the exact same tint as mine and they're selling everyday. Every car basically on the road is the same as mine. I have never done anything to anyone to get singled out. I called a place that replaces windows and it's very expensive to get the rear hatch window replaced and the two back windows. Which I'm being required to do apparently. Why are automakers selling cars that aren't legal in the state? Any advice?

Why are automakers selling cars that aren't legal in the state? Any advice?

As buyer, don't rely on the seller to do anything, but take your money. That said, here's the law on vehicle windows tint in TN, comply or allow yourself to live under siege!!!

=============================================

Window Tint Laws
Window Tint Laws
Window Tint Laws In All 50 States
Menu
Tennessee tint laws

Article Created by Ryan Pietrzak
Last updated on February 14, 2024

Tennessee Tint Laws – 2024 Updated Legal Tint Limit

Please note that Tennessee Tint Laws Regulation can change daily and may be interpreted differently at the city or county level. We recommend verifying this information with your local DMV or law enforcement agencies. We have manually fact-checked this content using official state resources. Tennessee enacted tinting laws in 1996. If any information provided is incorrect or outdated, please contact us so we can make the necessary corrections. Thank you.

2024 Tennessee Tint Laws – Legal Tint Limit For Passenger Vehicles​

• Front Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
  • Front seat side windows: up to 35% tint darkness allowed
  • Back seat side windows: up to 35% tint darkness allowed
  • Rear window: up to 35% tint darkness allowed

2024 Tennessee Tint Laws – Legal Tint Limit For Multi-Purpose Vehicles​

• Front Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
  • Front seat side windows: up to 35% tint darkness allowed
  • Back seat side windows: Any tint darkness can be used.
  • Rear window: Any tint darkness can be used.
  • Medical exemptions: Tennessee tint laws permit darker tints on front side windows with a doctor's note
  • Tennessee tint laws prohibit metallic or reflective tint on any of the windows
  • Tennessee tint laws are statewide with no additional local regulations
  • Violating Tennessee tint laws can result in a fine of around $50 for a first offense.
Window Tint LawsWindow Tint LawsWindow Tint Laws In All 50 States
Menu
Tennessee tint laws
Tennessee tint laws - 2024 updated legal tint limit 1
Article Created by Ryan Pietrzak

Last updated on February 14, 2024
Tennessee Tint Laws – 2024 Updated Legal Tint Limit
Please note that Tennessee Tint Laws Regulation can change daily and may be interpreted differently at the city or county level. We recommend verifying this information with your local DMV or law enforcement agencies. We have manually fact-checked this content using official state resources. Tennessee enacted tinting laws in 1996. If any information provided is incorrect or outdated, please contact us so we can make the necessary corrections. Thank you.

2024 Tennessee Tint Laws – Legal Tint Limit For Passenger Vehicles
Front Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front seat side windows: up to 35% tint darkness allowed
Back seat side windows: up to 35% tint darkness allowed
Rear window: up to 35% tint darkness allowed
2024 Tennessee Tint Laws – Legal Tint Limit For Multi-Purpose Vehicles
Front Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front seat side windows: up to 35% tint darkness allowed
Back seat side windows: Any tint darkness can be used.
Rear window: Any tint darkness can be used.
Tennessee tint laws - 2024 updated legal tint limit 2
Medical exemptions: Tennessee tint laws permit darker tints on front side windows with a doctor's note
Tennessee tint laws prohibit metallic or reflective tint on any of the windows
Tennessee tint laws are statewide with no additional local regulations
Violating Tennessee tint laws can result in a fine of around $50 for a first offense.
What does VLT Mean according to Tennessee Tint Laws?
Window tint film's light transmission is measured as VLT (Visible Light Transmission) and each state has its own legal limits for VLT on car windows.
A HIGHER VLT means that more light is allowed to pass through the window tint film.
Example: a 75% tint will allow 75% of the light to pass through whereas a 5% tint will only allow 5% of the light to pass through, making the 5% tint a much darker film.
Tennessee window tint laws has specific VLT limits for Passenger Vehicles and Multi-Purpose Vehicles.
FAQ's Regarding Tennessee Tint Laws and Tennessee Legal Tint Limit
What is the darkest legal tint in Tennessee?
Window tinting laws Tennessee allow for the front side windows, back side windows, and rear window, the VLT must be 35% or higher, meaning these windows must allow at least 35% of light to pass through. For the windshield, tinting is allowed above the AS-1 line, which is a line extending parallel to the top of the windshield, but the tint must allow more than 70% of light in

Are police exempt from window tint laws in Tennessee?
In Tennessee window tinting laws police cars are subject to the same window tint laws as civilian vehicles. There are no special exemptions for law enforcement vehicles regarding window tint regulations. This ensures uniformity in the application of the tint laws across all vehicles in the state

How do I get a tint waiver in Tennessee?
To obtain a window tint exemption in Tennessee due to a medical condition, you need to complete the Tennessee Window Tint Exemption Form. This form requires an attestation from a licensed medical professional, confirming that you have a medical condition adversely affected by ultraviolet light, which necessitates the need for reduced light transmission in your vehicle's windows. Once approved by the Department of Public Safety, the completed and approved form serves as authorization for the exemption.

How much is a tint ticket in Tennessee?
The cost of a window tint ticket in Tennessee can vary depending on factors such as the specific violation, jurisdiction, and local regulations. Generally, fines for window tint violations in Tennessee can range from around $50 to $200 or more.

Can you get pulled over for tint in Tennessee?
Yes, you can get pulled over for window tint violations in Tennessee. Tennessee has specific laws and regulations regarding the darkness of window tint on vehicles, and law enforcement officers can stop a vehicle if they believe the window tint is in violation of these laws.

How to get a Tint Exemption in Tennessee
Any person with a medical condition that is adversely affected by ultraviolet light may submit a statement to the commissioner from that person's physician certifying that the person has a medical condition that requires reduction of light transmission in the windows of the person's vehicle.

The commissioner shall submit the certified statement to the department's medical review board for evaluation. If the review board finds the exemption warranted, it shall recommend that the commissioner authorize the exemption and the degree of tinting exemption that is appropriate. The commissioner shall then supply a certificate or decal, indicating the degree of exemption, to the applicant who shall display it in the motor vehicle.

For more information regarding window tint medical exemptions in _____ you can check out this resource:

Tennessee Code Title 55 Chapter 9 Part 1 – 55-9-107

Interestingly, the code seems to apply to vehicles with windows that have "... been altered, treated or replaced by the affixing, application or installation of any material ..."

In your case, you are dealing with the manufacturer's tint with no alteration. As such, the code section would not seem to apply. Apparently, you were unable to convince the judge of this, and you may wish to appeal it. It might be wise to speak to an attorney about this matter.

If replacing the windows isn't an option, maybe you could gather more evidence, like a letter from Honda confirming it's factory glass. It could be worth appealing with that proof. If not, maybe contacting a local legal aid might help if you can't afford an attorney.

Back