Authentication and lost money

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the US number needs to be able to receive messaging (a cell phone). A VOIP wouldn't work.
Good Voice can receive text messages. There are also other similar services, but Google is free.

Good Voice can receive text messages. There are also other similar services, but Google is free.
Does it provide a permanent US phone number that I could register with the bank? It doesn't sound very reliable, I mean anyone can get such a number.

You can receive text messages from anywhere in the world. Some websites, such as banks or subscription services, won't send text messages to Google Voice numbers. In those instances, you may need to use your mobile operator number.

@welkin That's a fair enough point.

I'm not convinced that the bank has breached any contractual obligations.

Why are you not convinced?
Because there has not been enough/good enough evidence presented to convince me that the bank has committed any breach of its contractual obligations.

Because there has not been enough/good enough evidence presented to convince me that the bank has committed any breach of its contractual obligations.
So, it makes sense to you that a US bank can take money from someone living outside the US, place it in a CD account while saying that you can move your money using a USB security key, if you don't have a US cell number, and then tell you that you can't get your money moved using the USB key? It sounds like a breach of the user agreement to me. Or maybe it's plain fraud.

1/ You may be eligible for higher limits if you add Secured Transfer to receive a one-time passcode on your mobile device or register a USB security key. Higher limits may also apply for Bank of America Private Bank, Merrill or small business accounts.

B. Types of ACH and Wire Transfers
3/ Daily and monthly limits may also apply. You may be eligible for higher transaction limits if you add Secured Transfer to receive a one-time passcode on your mobile device or register a USB security key. Higher transaction limits may also apply for Bank of America Private Bank, Merrill or small business accounts.

4/ You will be charged $25 for each transfer trace that you ask us to execute for you. International transfers may be subject to additional fees charged by intermediary, receiving and beneficiary banks.

6/ For international outbound transfers, funds will be debited from your Bank of America account on the business day you direct us to initiate processing of the transfer. Bank of America will send the payment out on that business day and, except for Remittance Transfers the beneficiary's bank typically receives the funds 1 to 2 business days later and the funds typically will be credited to the beneficiary within 2 business days. See Section 6.F for special rules applicable to Remittance Transfers.

• Bank of America cannot guarantee the timely delivery or return of funds as a result of the failure of another financial institution to act in a timely manner. Please note that beneficiary banks located in some countries may take several days or even weeks to credit the receiving account. There may be some risk in making a transfer to a slow-to-pay country. Currency conversion charges also may apply to international outbound transfers.

There are 6 more references to international transfers in the terms of service if you care to look.
BOA Online banking terms of service

So, it makes sense to you that a US bank can take money from someone living outside the US, place it in a CD account while saying that you can move your money using a USB security key, if you don't have a US cell number, and then tell you that you can't get your money moved using the USB key? It sounds like a breach of the user agreement to me. Or maybe it's plain fraud.

There are 6 more references to international transfers in the terms of service if you care to look.
BOA Online banking terms of service
Awesome - but this doesn't address the OP's contract with the bank. Have you seen it? I haven't. At this point it's speculation.

Awesome - but this doesn't address the OP's contract with the bank. Have you seen it? I haven't. At this point it's speculation.
OP is using BOA online banking service. I posted the BOA online terms of service. That is the contract. What contract, with the bank, are you speaking of?

OP is using BOA online banking service. I posted the BOA online terms of service. That is the contract. What contract, with the bank, are you speaking of?
That hurts more than helps.

That hurts more than helps.

There is a lesson that unsuspecting dupes might very well be wise to consider.

Be very careful, use immense diligence and caution before entrusting your MONEY to an entity just because it appears to be trusted. As Former President Ronald Reagan often advised, "Trust, but verify."

1724680873143.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back