Dealer wants more money 4 days after Buyer's Order Signed by both parties

BassetGirl

Jurisdiction
Ohio
State of Ohio, Franklin County.
I purchased a used car from a Dealer in a cash sale on Monday. I have a buyer's order signed by both parties. On Thursday, the finance manager called and said they computed the sales tax incorrectly and that I need to pay $316 more to them. They were dismissive with the reason, but something about the tax was computed as a New Car Sale instead of the correctly marked Used Car Sale (ohio computes differently). It is a "behind the scenes" discount that is not displayed on the Buyer's order.
We have a meeting next week, but I wanted to know what options the dealer can/may use if we flat refuse to pay for their mistake (and maybe options for us, something we have not considered). And it is THEIR mistake. I reviewed the paperwork closely and everything lined up and added up.

You have to pay the tax, they have to remit the tax to the tax agencies.

I don't think that kind of mistake absolves you from the tax.

Besides, knowing how car dealers work, they will hold your car and your cash hostage until you pay it.

Then what? Hire a lawyer for thousands of dollars while your car and your cash is in limbo.

Maybe you can talk them into eating their mistake. If not, this is not the hill you want to die on.

Better pay them their tribute.

If you don't, things could get real ugly!!!!

Back