I haven't gotten paid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, ya know, you will have to show me one statute, regulation, or law that says receiving cash for labor as an employee, is illegal for someone to accept or ask for. The illegal part is on the part of an employer if they don't keep records, or withhold required taxes and pay them, or pay into workman's comp, or unemployment, or SS, or Medicare.
I'll say it one more time only, as I'm tired of the density you are exhibiting.
The OP was complicit in this, as he agreed to work "off the books."
If you can't find any, then link to just one case (in any jurisdiction, state or federal) that shows asking for and accepting cash or working under the table, or off the record is illegal for the employee.

And, well, ya know, that independent contractors and small business accept cash all the time. That doesn't mean that they don't report income and comply with all applicable laws.

Then I suggest you make an appointment with an audiologist and have that checked out. It may just be ear wax. ;)
This isn't about accepting cash. This is about accepting cash with no intention of reporting it.
I'm not saying that the employer wasn't also breaking the law.

This isn't about accepting cash. This is about accepting cash with no intention of reporting it.
And I will say it only one more time, you have absolutely no proof that OP would not be reporting the income. That is only your assumption. I think we are done here.

And I will say it only one more time, you have absolutely no proof that OP would not be reporting the income. That is only your assumption. I think we are done here.
And you have no proof that he would be.

Okay guys, time to agree to disagree. Okay? :)
Interestingly, this isn't a disagreement over anything substantive. We both agree that being paid cash isn't a problem in and of itself, it's the subsequent lack of reporting that is problematic. I'm sure that both welkin and I can agree that we don't know for sure what the OP's motives were and that we can only form an opinion based on the actions taken by the parties involved. One member simply takes issue with the conclusion another reached about the OP's motives.

Interestingly, this isn't a disagreement over anything substantive. We both agree that being paid cash isn't a problem in and of itself, it's the subsequent lack of reporting that is problematic. I'm sure that both welkin and I can agree that we don't know for sure what the OP's motives were and that we can only form an opinion based on the actions taken by the parties involved. One member simply takes issue with the conclusion another reached about the OP's motives.
I can agree to that.

Thank you all. I appreciate the compassion from some of you and never imagined the flames that would come about from others. I get the jist of my mistake here and moderators are welcome to close this thread up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back