I hit a pedestrian and fled the scene.

The problem with your advice is (1) turning himself in may potentially be used as evidence against her and (2) if the police never catch up to him she may avoid arrest altogether. Note that upon turning himself in he likely will be arrested. The advantage of turning yourself in is that you get to do it at a time you choose rather than running into the cops at some time that is horrible for you (e.g. missing a job interview, funeral, etc) and being arrested then.

OP: Note that given your description of the accident you might have avoided being at fault altogether had you stayed after hitting her as state law requires you to do. By running you've just made it much worse. In the future if you are in a similar situation, you probably should stay put and not flee the scene.

You need to consult a lawyer ASAP. As you are homeless you may be eligible for help from legal aid, a law school near you, or perhaps some organization that helps people get legal services when they can't afford it

At the very least I'd expect your license to get suspended as a result of the leaving the scene of the accident. If you were negligent and thus at fault in the accident, you may end up being sued for the medical bills and pain and suffering that the victim endured. I hope you had sufficient liability insurance to pay for that. If you have insurance contact your insurance company ASAP to ensure that it will pay out any damages you owe (up to the policy limit).
I looked at the police site. Th

The problem with your advice is (1) turning himself in may potentially be used as evidence against her and (2) if the police never catch up to him she may avoid arrest altogether. Note that upon turning himself in he likely will be arrested. The advantage of turning yourself in is that you get to do it at a time you choose rather than running into the cops at some time that is horrible for you (e.g. missing a job interview, funeral, etc) and being arrested then.

OP: Note that given your description of the accident you might have avoided being at fault altogether had you stayed after hitting her as state law requires you to do. By running you've just made it much worse. In the future if you are in a similar situation, you probably should stay put and not flee the scene.

You need to consult a lawyer ASAP. As you are homeless you may be eligible for help from legal aid, a law school near you, or perhaps some organization that helps people get legal services when they can't afford it

At the very least I'd expect your license to get suspended as a result of the leaving the scene of the accident. If you were negligent and thus at fault in the accident, you may end up being sued for the medical bills and pain and suffering that the victim endured. I hope you had sufficient liability insurance to pay for that. If you have insurance contact your insurance company ASAP to ensure that it will pay out any damages you owe (up to the policy limit).

Yeah, the attorney also said that turning myself in could be used as evidence against me.

Yeah, the attorney also said that turning myself in could be used as evidence against me.

Appearing VOLUNTARILY at a police station isn't an indicia of guilt, ANYMORE than getting arrested at the scene of a crime.

All criminal defendants facing justice before the bar, whether the court be municipal, state, or federal are cloaked in the presumption of innocence, unless and until the defendant is convicted before the bar, or cops a plea deal, essentially CONFESSING to her/his crime(s).

So, turning yourself in to a law enforcement agency because you think there are warrants issued for your arrest ALONE, isn't an indicia of guilt because of our best on the planet federal constitution and previous US Supreme Court rulings.

So, you could show up at your city's police station, provide the desk sergeant with your drivers license or another official form of identification and ask, "Hello, sergeant, my name is Innocent Citizen. I think your agency might have a warrant for my arrest".

As you long you use your Constitutional Right to remain silent you've not lost so much as a smidgen of your constitutional protections!!!

Just be sure if you do as PRECISELY as written above, you've NOT foolishly lost your RIGHT TO THE PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE, unless and until you're convicted before a court of competent jurisdiction.

Whatever you do, DON'T DISCUSS ANYTHING ABOUT THE CHARGE OR CASES. In addition, talk about ANYTHING, but the ALLEGATIONS swirling all about!!!

I have two other questions.

1) I'm in Berkeley, but the crime happened in San Francisco. How will the San Francisco police contact me since I'm in a different county? Will they coordinate with the Berkeley police?

2)Can they issue a warrant for my arrest without questioning me?

Last edited:
I have two other questions.

1) I'm in Berkeley, but the crime happened in San Francisco. How will the San Francisco police contact me since I'm in a different county? Will they coordinate with the Berkeley police?

Police can make contact with you in any number of ways.

Heck, sometimes police in County Blue, seeking Carl Criminal residing in County Purple will ask the US Marshal's to seek and arrest their target.

The sheriff in Blue might ask the Sheriff in Purple to find and arrest you.

Bottom line, you need not worry about being found, if the police want you bad enough.

Yes, a warrant can be issued, even if the local constabulary hasn't seen or spoken to you. By the way, all arrestees have the RIGHT not to speak about the allegations, and would be wise to discuss any aspect if the case ONLY WHEN THE DEFENDANT HAS RETAINED A PUBLIC DEFENDER OR PRIVATE ATTORNEY!!!!

Don't be stupid.

Don't hang yourself.

Stop blabbing about this nonsense all over the internet.

Why?????

Prosecutors and law enforcement routinely monitor internet sites!!!!!

1. Doesn't matter.

2. Yes.

Back