is it worth it or feasible to sue for paint damage?

MarcusW

Jurisdiction
Maryland
Alright, sorry for the wall of text but I think its necessary to fully explain the scenario. I have a 2020 Hyundai ioniq I bought it used 2 months ago and apparently someone already hit it in the back within the first month while I was parked. I came out one day and noticed the side panel and rear bumper separating in the corner and 2 scratch marks in the plastic of the rear bumper. I usually have it parked on the right side of the street with only the left side of the car rear and front exposed so I thought they had come and swiped the car again on the left side. There is another scratch on the front left side near the mirror and on the mirror itself some of the metal is worn down on the edge. Geico tells me only the rear bumper damage was caused by the hit and run because they have pictures of my car on an auction lot with the markings on the left side already there.

So my question is can I make the dealer detail it and remove the scratches that are too deep into the paint to be buffed out? My car is manufacturer certified so I don't think they weren't supposed to leave scratches into the paint. I also don't have access to the pictures because geico is being kind of weird and suddenly demanding all this documentation to prove my residency. Which somehow amounts to them asking for my bank statements since they reject all mail and paystubs with my name and address clearly printed on it. They are also trying to say my accident was a collision when it was not it so they can increase the deductible cost and probably my insurance premium. It should be uninsured motorist when the hit and run person can't be identified which is limited to $250 in my state. They're making me wait for a police report to prove otherwise.

I'm not 100% sure the hyundai certification process includes paint but, I think it probably does. I have to go in person to get the inspection checklist. I was going to get it the same day I pick up my license plates and its also time for the 30,000 mile maintenance. If I can eventually get those auction pictures from geico proving the scratches were already there before I bought it. Could I sue Hyundai in small claims court and win easily for false advertising if they refuse to detail it for free? I just don't want to be stuck with $1000 paint job cost after paying extra for certification. I also don't want to lave the scratches like that incase it causes rust later but I guess they aren't very noticeable from afar because the car is black.

I also noticed all maintenance was skipped in hyundai blue link app so I'm not 100% sure the condition of my car internally. I don't remember if the carfax said any maintenance was done. Maybe it just doesn't show because they kept the blue link deactivated.

So my question is can I make the dealer detail it and remove the scratches that are too deep into the paint to be buffed out?
In the United States of America, what makes you believe you can make another citizen do anything?

Turn your question around, can the dealer make you pay them an extra $20,000 because they need it more than you need it?????

Back