Need Advice: Pulled Over and charged for DUI, Police Found Residue of Cocaine and pills, No Charges Yet. What Should I Expect?

Thalla24

Jurisdiction
Missouri
Hi everyone,

I need some advice on a situation I recently found myself in. Here's what happened:

I was pulled over by the police, and they conducted a breathalyzer test, which showed that my blood alcohol level was above the legal limit. Because of this, they arrested me for DUI.

While they were processing the arrest, they searched my pockets and found a small bag with just a tiny residue of cocaine in it—this was leftover from a long time ago and not an actual usable amount. I wasn't even aware of it and which probably less than 0.1 grams.

The police also found ecstasy some (2) pills in my car, which they said they're going to send to the lab for testing. They confiscated everything.

The police gave me a ticket for DUI (Driving While Intoxicated) but didn't charge me with anything related to the drugs at that moment. They mentioned that they would send the residue to a chemical lab for testing but didn't specify if or when they'd get back to me about it.

I'm really unsure about what to expect next and how to proceed and I'm feeling a bit anxious about it. What should I be prepared for in terms of possible charges,
Any advice or guidance on how to navigate this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Possession of any amount of cocaine or ecstasy is illegal under federal and Missouri law. Whether the prosecutor will charge you with possession of those drugs is impossible to predict. The amount you had is pretty small, so there are a variety of things the prosecutor might to do. Not knowing the prosecution policy of the prosecutors office that will handle your case I can't even make a good guess as to what will happen. You need to consult with a criminal defense lawyer ASAP. If you can't afford to hire an attorney the court will appoint you an attorney who will represent you either for free or for a fee that you are able to afford.

A note for the future: having any amount of illegal drugs anywhere on your person is the most common way cops get possession busts. It doesn't take much for a cop to be able to pull you over, and once pulled over you run the risk that the cop will do a search that will turn up the drugs. Don't use drugs before or while driving and don't keep any illegal drugs in the car or on you — ever. Illegal possession of those drugs is at least a misdemeanor offense under both federal and state law for which at least some jail time and a hefty fne are possibilities.

Back