Rep. Malliotakis to Newsmax: Mayor Adams Must Resign

army judge

Super Moderator
Under the cloud of federal indictment, New York City Mayor Eric Adams can no longer effectively govern the city, Rep. Nicole Malliotakis, R-N.Y. told Newsmax on Friday.

Posters note: I disagree with Congresswoman Malliotakis.
Why?
Every defendant is cloaked in the protection/presumption of innocence.
Mayor Adams is only indicted. He's not been convicted. Unless and until he is convicted, or pleads out, he's 100% innocent!

"This is a very problematic and troublesome time for our city," Malliotakis, who represents Staten Island and southern Brooklyn, said on "National Report." "Our city is suffering. And the taxpayers, the city's operations deserve more. We're seeing how the basic needs of New York City's residents are being neglected."

An indictment unsealed Thursday accused the Democrat of taking a variety of improper gifts from Turkish officials and business people, including free hotel stays and deeply discounted airline tickets to destinations including France, China, Sri Lanka, India, Hungary, Ghana and Turkey.

In return, prosecutors said, Adams did favors for his patrons. That included helping Turkey get fire department approvals to open a new diplomatic tower in Manhattan, despite concerns about its fire safety system, prosecutors said. Adams has maintained his innocence.

Malliotakis said as gangs have taken over New York City streets, it is time for real leadership.

"I think the mayor needs to resign," Malliotakis said. "I understand everyone does deserve their day in court. You are innocent until proven guilty. This is a matter of being able to govern. And right now, this mayor cannot govern. Our city is falling apart. His top people have left City Hall. And really, who is running New York right now?

If Adams does not resign, Malliotakis said the city will continue to suffer and be in a downward spiral.

"This mayor has not done good service for this city," Malliotakis said. "He should have never allowed this migrant crisis to get out of control by offering free hotel rooms, free legal services, free laundry services and all these other programs. They have allowed dangerous people."

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

Out of sincere curiosity... How is what Adams did different from what Clarence Thomas has done (*)?

(Note: I do think that if Adams is convicted, he should resign.)

(*) I did not say allegedly in either case; I suspect both did what has been claimed.

I agree that Mayor Adams is (in the legal world) innocent until proven guilty. So the decision to resign is a personal one that's his choice to make. I see two main reasons why Adams may want resign. The first is to do the right thing for the city. He's not going to be able to give his total attention to his mayoral duties if he's going to have to spend a lot of time on his personal legal issues. How much time he'll have to take to deal with it is something he needs to discuss with his lawyers. A lot of politicians in the past resigned their offices when indicted in part for that very reason.

The other big reason to do it is that it lessens the public profile of the case which can make better plea bargains deals a bit easier to get. Also the stress of running the city and dealing with these legal problems can't be good for his health.

But he as the right to continue in the job at least up to the point he's convicted. Right now there are just allegations. There are a lot of things that can happen in the following months, including the possibility that the government's may fall apart.

Out of sincere curiosity... How is what Adams did different from what Clarence Thomas has done (*)?

Well, for starters, Thomas isn't under investigation for any crimes and hasn't been indicted for anything. There is also not as clear a nexus between the money and perks he's allegedly received and the votes he makes on cases before the Court as there appears to be with Adams and his work as mayor.

Well, for starters, Thomas isn't under investigation for any crimes and hasn't been indicted for anything. There is also not as clear a nexus between the money and perks he's allegedly received and the votes he makes on cases before the Court as there appears to be with Adams and his work as mayor.
Fair enough.

Back