SBP

Lula

Jurisdiction
Virginia
My husband was retired navy and we were married for 23 years before he recently died. He was formerly married. Now the military is keeping my SBP because they say he never told them he was remarried and that I owe them money to cover the SBP. In addition they are charging me interest until the debt is paid. Is this legal. My husband was paid up with SBP.

My husband was retired navy and we were married for 23 years before he recently died. He was formerly married. Now the military is keeping my SBP because they say he never told them he was remarried and that I owe them money to cover the SBP. In addition they are charging me interest until the debt is paid. Is this legal. My husband was paid up with SBP.

Were you ever issued a DOD ID Card?

Are you still in possession of the card?

Did you ever use the card, if you had or have one, to enter a military base, obtain military Healthcare, use the on post exchange (in your case navy exchange)?

Are you entered into DEERS?

What is your age?

Are you a citizen of the USA?

Do you receive social security payments?

You might reach out to one or two the of the many veterans agency (example: DAV, American Legion, etc)

You'll eventually need the services of an attorney, find one that is a retired or former military lawyer, as in JAG.

BIG TROUBLE MIGHT SOON BE COMING YOUR WAY.

Please accept my condolences upon the loss of your husband.

Back