Summary Judgement won in Ohio

LegalHelp123

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I'm from texas. Loaned a man and his wife money in Ohio with documented and signed payment terms. Man and the wife tried to disappear. Won a summary judgement and now have a lien on their house.

They defaulted on another loan from a bank in Ohio and are currently having wages garnished. Couple of quesitons:

1) as I start proceedings on garnishing their wages, do i have to physically appear in court in Ohio when representing myself?

2) Assuming the garnishment is approved, how does that work with the payment currently being garnished? They owe about $12,000 more to that other lawsuit. Would i have to wait until that finishes or would they be able to start garnishing for me at the same time if their paycheck meets the limits (typically using this as a formula - Under federal law (the Consumer Credit Protection Act), a maximum of 25% of a debtor's disposable income can be garnished, or the amount by which their disposable earnings exceed 30 times the federal minimum wage, whichever is less.)

Here's their current situation:

1725830154402.png

1) as I start proceedings on garnishing their wages, do i have to physically appear in court in Ohio when representing myself?

According to this one Ohio court it appears that you have to deliver the papers to the court clerk.

Your court's website will have forms and instructions.

2) Assuming the garnishment is approved, how does that work with the payment currently being garnished?

If the first judgment creditor is getting the maximum allowable amount, you would not get anything until that garnishment stops.

Think about a bank account levy if you know, or can find out, where the deadbeat banks.

See 2716.11 and 2716.13:

Getting a judgment against a deadbeat is easy, collecting the money is often impossible. Been there with deadbeat tenants that I was never able to collect from.

Back