Vehicle title question.

harold

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I am a resident of New York and purchasing a vehicle from a seller in pennsylvania. The vehicle was titled in the deceased spouses name only
. No coowner or right of survivorship. It is my understanding there is no will, therefore no executor or administrator. Vehicle purchased from surviving spouse (as listed on death certificate). I understand an mv-39 is required to be completed. If there are any adult surviving children do they need to have their signatures on this form in order to complete the sale or can the seller just list their names on this form? How can we get this sale completed so I can become owner of this vehicle?

How can we get this sale completed so I can become owner of this vehicle?

You might sooner, rather than later, regret "buying" the vehicle.

If something requires EXTRA effort to purchase, you're probably better off NOT purchasing that something.

Plus, as a NY resident, are you aware of the following?

How to Transfer a Pennsylvania Title to a New York Resident

BY ANDREA LYNN​

A vehicle title is a document that proves ownership of a vehicle. On each title is the Vehicle Identification Number or VIN of the vehicle, the year of the vehicle, the make and model of the vehicle, the name of the current owner and their address. Each state has their own titles and registering laws and rules.

Pennsylvania Title Holder

STEP 1

Create sales receipt and odometer statement or damage disclosure statement, if necessary for the purchase of the vehicle.

STEP 2

Assign the title to the New York resident by filling in their name and address, as well as the current vehicle mileage and the date of sale.

STEP 3

Sign and print your name on the seller line.

New York Resident Purchasing the Vehicle

STEP 1

Sign all sales documents related to the purchase of the vehicle.

STEP 2

Sign and print your name on the Pennsylvania title as buyer.

STEP 3

Bring the vehicle title, proof of ownership, proof of of New York State sales tax, exemption, or purchase price and proof of New York State liability auto insurance to a local New York DMV office.

STEP 4

Fill out the New York State form MV-82 -- the license and registration form. Have ready proof of identity and the new owner's date of birth.

STEP 5

Go to the DMV counter to file the documents you brought for a new vehicle purchase. Provide payment for fees to the New York state DMV.

STEP 6

Purchase new license plates or pay to transfer your old license plates to the new vehicle.

STEP 7

Pay state sales tax on your vehicle purchase.

STEP 8

Take your vehicle to a New York state inspection facility and get your vehicle inspected.

Where Do I Pay Sales Tax When Buying Out of State?

Generally, when you buy a car out of state, you will pay the sales tax in the state that you register it in. While you may think that you can save some money by purchasing the vehicle in a state with a lower sales tax rate than your home state, this is usually not the case. There are a lot of different circumstances regarding how you pay sales tax on a car and how much you will be responsible for paying. Knowing how car sales tax works will help you plan for your purchase and make it as easy as possible.

There are a lot of things to consider when buying a new or used car. Making the right choice is essential if you want to make the most of the purchase and get a vehicle that will last you as long as possible. While the price of a vehicle is important, you should also remember that there are other costs beyond the number that is listed. This includes sales tax and even if you buy the car in a state outside of where you live, you will still be obligated to pay it.

I am . . . purchasing a vehicle . . . [that is] titled in [a] deceased [person's] name

Please explain exactly what this means.

No coowner or right of survivorship. It is my understanding there is no will, therefore no executor or administrator.

The lack of a will does not mean there is no executor or administrator. The court will appoint an administrator if someone seeks to probate the estate.

Vehicle purchased from surviving spouse (as listed on death certificate).

"Purchased"? As in you've already bought it? This seems to contradict your prior statement that "I am . . . purchasing a vehicle."

You're going to need to answer these questions before anyone can give you meaningful, intelligent feedback.

How can we get this sale completed so I can become owner of this vehicle?

It's a complicated process. I suggest you seek guidance from your nearest NY DMV office. Someone there will tell you what you need to do and give you the forms with which to do it.

Back