License Plate Not Matching Vehicle

Dragonfli

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I was parked in my motorhome beside the vacuums with intent to vacuum. The owner of the carwash called the cops because I had been their too long. The cops told me this and then said I was trespassing. I was shocked and concerned. The cop said he wasn't giving me trespassing charges. As I got out of my vehicle to give the other officer my driver's license I noticed the cop observing my vin number in a way as if my vehicle was stolen. I told him it was legal with insurance and everything. He said does it have insurance and I reassured him with verification. He then did a double take I assume making sure he was really seeing I had it paid for for an entire year. He then told me my motorhome was showing up as a white Audi. I was frantic. He said the DMV sometimes does a bump. Whatever that means. I look up my license plate later and it's showing my vehicle not a white Audi. Was he lying to me? Possibly because he was judging me and my older motorhome and spending too much time at a carwash? Likely expecting me to be completely illegal and I right away proved I was not. He even made me take off my plates incase I were pulled over again so I didn't get worse charges with having fictitious plates. I was a complete mess and ready to drive fourty minutes to the DMV on a Saturday and chew their butts until my friend said that he was probably lying and I looked for myself. If he was lying what action can I take?

If he was lying what action can I take?

I doubt the officer was lying.
As far as you doing anything about the officer for doing his/her job, there's very little you alone can do.

However, you could always file a complaint with the department's internal affairs. I doubt if anything much would come of such a complaint, nevertheless, you're free to try.

Yes but I don't feel exactly comfortable doing so. I'm wondering who is above the entire police department.

No one is above the police department and it's officers for doing their jobs.

By the way, police agencies have their officers wearing video recording devices these days. Everything about police encounters is recorded and archived during the course of the officer's duty day.

I think your time would be best used by visiting a nearby state vehicle licensing facility. That's where your problem, if there is a problem can be corrected.

Yeesh! The cop may have made a mistake, or his system may have made a mistake. Why is it that everyone thinks that someone is out to get them?

Because the world revolves around them and everything that happens, happens on the basis of how it will affect them. We've got a whole generation of Sheldon Coopers out there.

Back