The Very Sad Ending to What Was Once Thought to be a Great Presidency.

Let me have men about me that are fat

Caesar
Let me have men about me that are fat,
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights.
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look,
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous.
Mark Antony
Fear him not, Caesar, he's not dangerous,
He is a noble Roman, and well given.
Julius Caesar
Would he were fatter! But I fear him not.
Yet if my name were liable to fear,
I do not know the man I should avoid
So soon as that spare Cassius. He reads much,
He is a great observer, and he looks
Quite through the deeds of men. He loves no plays,
As thou dost, Antony; he hears no music;
Seldom he smiles, and smiles in such a sort
As if he mock'd himself, and scorn'd his spirit
That could be mov'd to smile at any thing.
Such men as he be never at heart's ease
Whiles they behold a greater than themselves,
And therefore are they very dangerous.
I rather tell thee what is to be fear'd
Than what I fear; for always I am Caesar.
Source:

Julius Caesar

Act 1

Scene 2

Line 202

Source Type:

Plays

Spoken by:

Antony, Julius Caesar

Figures of Speech:

Alliteration, Anadiplosis

Do you really think that Jack was serious?
I don't think he was serious about me actually running for the office or that my chances would be very good if I did. Rather, I took it as a comment on the rather poor choice of candidates we do have. I think a lot of Americans would rather have some other truly viable options than the two we have this year. I've already made it clear I'm not happy with either one.

I think a lot of Americans would rather have some other truly viable options than the two we have this year. I've already made it clear I'm not happy with either one.
I think you are in good company with your sentiment. But the facts are the facts and people will either vote or sit this one out or vote a third-party candidate if they can get on the ballot. Or they may flush their vote with a write-in choice.

The likelihood of Biden being replace on the ballot is slim to none. I say that because of two things. First, there are legal reasons and second, there are political reasons and the DNC rules. You don't hear the media talking about either.

Since 1992, when Ross Perot ran as an independent candidate, many state passed laws making it very difficult for a third-party candidate to get on the ballot especially at such a late date. There are campaign finance laws that make it illegal to transfer money between campaigns. In fact, 15 states passed laws that would require donations to a campaign to be sent back to the donors if the candidate were to drop out.

The only way Biden could be replaced is if he withdraws from the race and releases all his delegates. I don't think that will happen. But if he did, he doesn't get to pick his replacement. It would be the DNC delegates that pick the new candidate. It would be a replay of the Chicago 1968 contested convention all over again. That would be total chaos.

The only way Biden could be replaced is if he withdraws from the race and releases all his delegates. I don't think that will happen.

I agree. So far, despite the calls from Democrats, the President has shown no inclination to do that. There is no way Trump would do it unless something drastically changed for him that would make running, and winning, the job more of a burden to him than he'd consider worthwhile. That's why I've said we're stuck with these two, for better or worse (mostly worse IMO). Unless, of course, one of them dies or becomes so obviously unfit for the job before Nov 5. That is, of course, a possibility but given their general health it seems rather unlikely to occur in the next five months.

My state always has third party candidates on the ballot for president, including one that has been around quite awhile and is unique to this state. Since it's unique to this state, that party's candidate for president will never win, but I like that at least they have the opportunity to be on the ballot and let people make their views known by voting for its candidate if he/she more closely matches their views.

Back